Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we all pull together and redesign those crappy Accessory brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we all pull together and redesign those crappy Accessory brackets?

After seeing the "Alternator bolt" thread I started thinking, we need something better.

That bracket on the Alternator is crap, and the one for the power steering is the same lousy design.

Could someone figure out where to source the ones like you see on some customs and street rods.

Thinking of something with spherical rod end links and a turnbuckle adjuster with lock nuts. Bolt one side to the block and one side to the alt, seems simple enough.

Maybe that guy who was making adjustable sway bar end links could hook it up. I'd love to buy a kit ready to bolt on or have someone do the leg work for me.(Honesty sucks sometimes, but I'm way to busy to futz around with it now)

I have not thought to much for the actual reason for the alt bushings... If we can eliminate those with say a machined brass bushing set or something then this should be a no-brainer. If some one already does this then we are half way there...

I am not thread-jacking... I like this idea because I have been through my fair share of those alt brackets. I think I dislike the alt bushings and the alt bracket equally.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by t13vom View Post
      I have not thought to much for the actual reason for the alt bushings... If we can eliminate those with say a machined brass bushing set or something then this should be a no-brainer. If some one already does this then we are half way there...

I am not thread-jacking... I like this idea because I have been through my fair share of those alt brackets. I think I dislike the alt bushings and the alt bracket equally.

Cheers

Brass bushings sound good to me, add it to the list of parts for the "Accessory mounting kit" we're developing here in this thread. Even if it's just a bunch of independent parts from a couple suppliers that would be cool too. Just want to do something about these crappy brackets.

FWIW, I've lost that bolt from the other thread in the past.

Comment

Funny you mention it, that's one of the first things I was planning to do when my car comes out of storage. Prompted by this post by 'Matts M3'
        http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...383#post274383
        Should be simple, I just don't have access to my car to take the measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
          Thinking of something with spherical rod end links and a turnbuckle adjuster with lock nuts. Bolt one side to the block and one side to the alt, seems simple enough.
          It seems to have worked fairly well on that racing 'Pinto motor' in the photo. I agree that the factory brackets appear to be a common source of aggravation and there is room for improvement.

At least solid bushings would eliminate lots of troubles.
          2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
          1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
          1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Can we run toothed timing belts. They require no tension so there's minimal wear on the accessory bearings and brackets.
            David
            Redwood City, CA

Comment

I'd liked to see toothed belt driven timing gear to replace that pricey, oily chain & rail setup. That would be worth something.
              2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
              1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
              1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

SOLID BUSHINGS ARE WORSE.

All you guys can slow your roll on those right now. I actually had a solid case alternator with no bushings on it... it was given to me on exchange by a local alternator place when I had my alternator rebuilt. I broke alternator bolts at 3X the previous rate. After a few months of this, I took my solid case unit back and demanded my stock E30 M3 alternator case, which the shop owner obliged. I'm definitely hip to a new mounting bracket, but it's still a buzzy S14 that the alternator is going to be attached to, and I don't think you want to use solid bushings of any sort.
                Mark Williams
                Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Here's mine...it's a tad too long. I need to source a shorter center rod. The hard part is finding the correct length. I could always get one machined, but that would cost a bit more. The benefit of the design we're all talking about is it will not loosen once the locknuts are tightened.

I've found my stock alternator bracket always loosens due to the either the streching of the belt or the bolt can't support the tension due to the stock bolt/gear system.

Spherical Alternator Bracket

Pat
                  Pat

Comment

I'll take measurements on the distance tomorrow and see if we can't find something out there.
                    Rich!

Comment

How about a serpentine belt conversion with accessories, get rid of all the adjusters and add an adjustable idler pulley? ...I can dream, can't I? :wee:

Comment

you need a good amount of adjustment to get the belt tight. I'd be concerned with the range of adjustment and install, but I'm interested.

I too would prefer a serpentine belt conversion but I don't think there would be enough of us to make something with that many custom parts, to be cost effective.
                        ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

I sell stainless turnbuckles (Eye to eye, like these, amongst other styles) into the marine industry. My car is at the panel beaters at the moment getting the scuttle repaired though. If you could provide me approximate length and size of the bolts required I can see if I have anything in stock.

Cheers

Comment

I am getting a machine shop with a CNC machine looking into making something to work in place of the crappy bracket we all hate. As soon as I know something I will let everyone know.
                            "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Comment

Working...
                            X