anyone have any pointers on SSK install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have any pointers on SSK install

Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect or problems I might run into?
    Do I need any special tools?

elefantsupply.com

When I did mine, I left the driveshaft, exaust and heat shield on. It would have been much faster if not for the person who last worked on the shifter installed a poorly chosen bolt. I think you could do it easily w/o removing all of those parts. Expect to get dirty if you decide to go that route. Also, I heard that using new bolts and bushing (if your kit doesn't come with them) can help reduce the shifter buzz. Good luck.

BTW which kit are you getting?

Comment

I have the UUC kit.

elefantsupply.com

Comment

Harlan,

I installed mine from under the car. It would seem that going in from the top would be the easiest, but I feel that time spent removing the driveshaft, heatshield and exhaust is less time consuming and frustrating in the long run. No you dont need special tools for the install, but I would search the archives here and order all new bushings, foam inserts, shifter cup, etc.. The UUC tends to be a little buzzy especially with the bearing and Delron upgrade, so changing any worn parts will go a long way twards removing any potential noise sources.

A second plus to removing the driveline is that you can inspect the guibo and universals. It would be a shame to have those self-destruct on a high speed run.

If you get stuck, send me an email and Ill come bail you out.

Comment

Wookie,

I knew you were going to tell me that. Might as well change Everything when i'm in there.

Good thing the dealer had all the parts in stock

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys

elefantsupply.com

Comment

Rebuilding shifter

Lotta threads on SS kits and shifter buzz so I thought I'd add to this one.

I will be tackling this job soon and wanted some input. I have the Ireland Engineering SS kit which no one has heard of, but it was $110 and has no linkage so I'm also getting the Rogue WSR. My question with this is is will it be hard to attach the WSR to the shifter? Most kits come with it attached.

Also I'm am looking at some buzz reducing kits and wanted input. There is a Bimmerworld kit with "selector rod joint, bushing, clip" and the Turner kit with "joint, pin, bushing, and clip". Does anyone have a preference in kit? Any others? I saw one with lots more stuff for like $50 but I can't find it now

Last question is do I need the delrin carrier bushings? Where do they go and do I need special tools to install?

I have this excellent writeup by Mick to work with http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5370432-2.html

Sorry for all the questions but I don't wanna be in there and find out I can't do something.
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

UUC install

I replaced my stock shifter with a UUC in May. I also had the other parts from Maximillian to refurbish the stock shifter components that wear. I did not end up replacing them only the shifter.
              A long set of needle nose pliers helps with reinstalling the plastic ring that holds the shifter in place. I was able to remove the clip and linkage and then reinstall from under the car(on jackstands). You need some patience and coordination to do this with one hand but not too tough. That is all there is to the shifter replacement.
              I found that the uuc shifter buzzes a lot more than my stock one did. However, if I had gone to the trouble to drop driveshaft and exhaust, I would have replaced the joint with the foam in it and probably helped with that.
              Suggest you be sure to use redline or equal fluid as the uuc ssk is a little notchy compared to stock.
              Good Luck
              88M3 henna

73T100C
              97 540\6-Gone
              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Re: Rebuilding shifter

Originally posted by AlpineRunner
                My question with this is is will it be hard to attach the WSR to the shifter? Most kits come with it attached.
                Should be no problem, the selector rods should have the same pin size.

Also I'm am looking at some buzz reducing kits and wanted input. There is a Bimmerworld kit with "selector rod joint, bushing, clip" and the Turner kit with "joint, pin, bushing, and clip". Does anyone have a preference in kit? Any others? I saw one with lots more stuff for like $50 but I can't find it now
                Either one should work fine.
                One thing to note. The Turner Kit comes with parts 13,14,15,16 from this diagram. http://www.mydig.com/auto/posts/ETK_shifter.gif
                Because the new style gear selector rod joint (#13) that is supplied with those kits comes pre assembled, it already has it's own clip and foam disc attached to it. So, if you buy one of these kits you won't need to use parts 16 and 15. Essentially you'll end up with 2 different style #15's and 2 #16's

Also, I believe this is why a lot of people complain that the gear selector rod joint (#13) is so hard to install. I think what they are doing is buying a selector rod joint that has the foam disc (#16) pre-installed. Then, not realizing there's already a foam disc in place they attempt to install the 2nd (and unnessecary) foam disc that comes with the kit. With 2 foam discs in place I could see how it would be very difficult to compress the foam enough to get the pin inserted. The pre-assembled selector rod joint that I installed on my car went on without a problem and had a nice snug fit.

Last question is do I need the delrin carrier bushings? Where do they go and do I need special tools to install?

I have this excellent writeup by Mick to work with http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5370432-2.html

Sorry for all the questions but I don't wanna be in there and find out I can't do something.
                You don't need the carrier bushing upgrade but it's nice to have. They go where the selector rod (#12) connects to the shifter lever (#9). If you don't install them when you do the upgrade they're easy enough to access without removing the exhaust or drive shaft and you could always add them later.

Comment

Awesome Mick, thanks a lot that was exactly what I was looking for! You are my hero.
                  "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

One thing you may want to have on hand to replace is the 'shifting arm bearing' (#7)...the rubber mount on mine was pretty destroyed when I installed my SSK. I can't remember if you need to unbolt the driveshaft or lower the exhaust, but I think you do because clearance is pretty tight that far back.

Comment

Working...
                    X