Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fritzjuan
    replied
    Having problems with my cluster as well... i'm getting sporadic readings from my fuel gauge.. my tachometer stopped working but started to work again after i hit the dashboard a couple of times and now my temp gauge flickers from half to overheat (even if it is not overheating)... The temp gauge started to act up when I drove the car hard and the needle started to move very erratic. Help! Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    I just tested out the ABS and everything appeared to be working fine with it so the light spot being missing from the standard e30 main board doesn't appear to be affecting the performance of the ABS. I just won't know if it goes out until I need it I guess.

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    My tach issue was the bad batteries on the SI board. Even though my board was only a few years old it must have been sitting around in germany for a long time and the batteries just didn't have a lot of life left in them. I ordered new batteries for the board and am going to solder them in to take care of that. My main board had corrosion all around the yellow plug which is what controls the information that goes to the OBC. How it got corroded I have no clue. The car has never had any water issues of any sort but it sure looked like the Main board had somehow gotten wet. Replacing the main board with the standard e30 board took care of that problem and now I have a working OBC and my tach was never broken just dead batteries. The only problem that may arise is the loss of the ABS light which may or may not actually control the ABS but I doubt it. I will find out tomorrow when I take it out to check it.

Leave a comment:

• cdeason
    replied
    Jone30 - need tach help

When I removed the OBC, the tach quit working, replaced the SI board, made sure all the connections were tight, checked all fuses and had to replace fuse 27 for some reason, tach still does not work, any ideas

Leave a comment:

• jone30
    replied
    Yea, I have done extensive research trying to find a work around for bypassing the SI board on late model clusters. With no avail. It seems that the tach signal is actually processed by a chip on the SI board itself. I've got all the diagrams and everything figured out, just no way to go around it at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    I will check it out today or tomorrow and see if it works. I cant believe the light would control the circuit. If the bulb burnt out wouldn't that then disable your ABS?

Leave a comment:

• Jeremiah
    replied
    I don't think your abs will work anymore without a cluster with the bulb (runs in a series circut). You need a cluster from 9/87 forward if it's for your 89' or you're going to run into problems. Been there with this issue b4

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    So I went and got a gauge cluster out of an 87 e30 today. The only difference I can tell is that the car I got it off didn't have ABS so there was no spot to put the bulb in for the ABS light but I can live with that. Also there was a small plastic alignment pin on the back of my case that I had to grind off since there wasn't a hole in the other board but after that everything seemed to work. I think the batteries on my Si board still may need to be replaced but other then that everything appears to be working fine so far.

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    I am hoping I can at least get a tach and just check it and see. I think there is a problem with my main circuit board though because my onboard computer quit working and I replaced it and that didn't fix it. I took the cluster apart and there was some corrosion on the circuit board almost like it got wet or something but I don't know how that could have happened. I am going to call around some local junk yards tomorrow and see if I can find one locally and give it a shot. If it is the tach I wonder if anyone knows if the oil temp gauge is built in to the tach or can I take it out and replace my tach with the new one. If it is built in I will probably just have to buy a new one since finding M3s in junk yards doesn't happen often.

Leave a comment:

• CourtM3
    replied
    Don't recall if they are interchageable, but they might be. make sure all the 7mm nuts in the back are tight. My DD e30 had the same problem and after banging my head against a wall tryin to figure it out notice they were loose and that fixed it.

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    started a topic Gauge cluster issues?

Gauge cluster issues?

Last year after I got it out of storage the tach would stay stuck on three till the battery got some charge in it and then it would start working. I thought it was the batteries in the SI board but the rest of my gauges were working fine. Now this year the tach is stuck on 3 permanently and now I think the fuel gauge is giving me sporadic reading's. It sticks on a level and then all of the sudden drops to wherever it is supposed to be. Is it possible that it is the SI board after all? Does any one know if a gauge cluster out of a regular e30 would work to check it against?
Working...
X