Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

water temp rising too much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water temp rising too much

when my car is at idle for a few minutes the water temperature rises to the 3/4 line. I have no clue what this could be from. I recently changed most of my major hoses...coolant is at the correct level. Anyone got suggestions?
    "A wolf in wolves clothing"
    Tiff Needell

Did you check your Auxiliary fan?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Re: water temp rising too much

Originally posted by TheRealM3
      when my car is at idle for a few minutes the water temperature rises to the 3/4 line. I have no clue what this could be from. I recently changed most of my major hoses...coolant is at the correct level. Anyone got suggestions?
      Most likely, the aux fan resistor and/or the temp switch is faulty so the fan doesn't come on.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

check your fan clutch too (w/ the newspaper test).
        -Han

Comment

auxilary fan is working fine...i checked that today. More details on the fan clutch test would be appreciated. Also, what else could this be from?
          Tiff Needell

Comment

Did you make sure thet when you put coolant into the system that it was mixed 50/50?

If the coolant looks really dark(assuming you used BMW coolant) the temp will read hot, My car was actually runnig hot so i removed some of the coolant and filled it with more water and the temp has been fine ever since.
            sigpic

Comment

the mixture is 50/50. I did however notice today that i have a slight leak at one of my hoses....that is probably causing the rising temps. Anymore input would be appreciated.

thanx
              Tiff Needell

Comment

Digging up another oldie here, I am having a problem with my car running a tad hot at idle, and then running normal at speed. I know that my aux fan is not turning on when the car is running and pressing the ac switch does not engage the fan either (although my ac is completley out of freon if that matters) but the wierd thing is it runs when the key is turned halfway and then shuts off after the car starts. Is this normal? help please.
                '87 325
                '88 M3
                '97 Dinan 328i

Comment

Well from what i understand the aux fan is really only supossed to turn on when the ac is engaged. So it would stand to reason that if you have no ac to turn on then the overheating problem is not related to the aux fan. However if you still want to fix the aux fan there is a relay behind the front grill (drivers side) located next to the aux fan that goes bad. I think the part is inexpenssive but i remeber mine being a pita to replace because it was difficult access or even see.

As for the over heating you may have a hose going bad. They usually go bad at the ends where they contact the block or the thermostat. They get old and dont seal anymore but as the temp changes the leak seals or unseals it self making it difficult to find. Sometimes you may notice a sweet smell. When the car is cool and you have time, lift it a little and the take a good look at all of your hoses from beneth. Look for drip/residue stains.
                  Good luck
                  1989 E30 M3 DD
                  2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
                  facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Working...
                  X