"New" e30 M3 in Bastos livery here in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" e30 M3 in Bastos livery here in Seattle

I haven't seen it in person, just through the grapevine. Now these pictures have surfaced. If you are in the Seattle/Bellevue area, go over to Speedware motorsports and have a look at this....

Original thread credit: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=37266
    Last edited by Erik_Brannfors; 04-15-2008, 05:08 AM.

RedShark Racing http://www.brannfors.com
    1988 M6
    1990 M3
    1991 M5

that is sweet! I'm gonna have to try and stop by there.
    @slowprogress

Comment

Totally diggin the white wheels.
      Searching, waiting, searching.

Comment

Not sure but wheels look like evo stock wheels with polished lips and white centers / no caps.

Dear Santa.... want one of those.
        Petro

Comment

It's beautiful! :(

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Thats sweet! Looks great.

1991 M3 - SOLD | 1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

I like it a lot ! That wheel gap is 2 much though, it needs to be on coilovers and I don't like the rims, they don't suit the car, other than that - awesome !

Comment

NOW THATS the floor model i want!!!

Comment

I saw the car this past week and could not believe how fantastic it looked. It is one of the most stunning paint and decal jobs I have seen.

Comment

The car looks great in person. Bill did a good job with it! I was fortunate enough to be at the unveiling of this car :cycle:

Bill mentioned he still has some stuff left to do, he mentioned that he would be going through the suspension bits this winter, so maybe he will be adjusting the ride height and getting some different wheels for the car.

I really like the Castrol/Bastos scheme and I cant wait to see it out at the track. :rastajake:
                    -Nick

1991 E30 with the "other" 16v 4cyl

Comment

Originally posted by vlad View Post
                      I like it a lot ! That wheel gap is 2 much though, it needs to be on coilovers and I don't like the rims, they don't suit the car, other than that - awesome !
                      LOL! I had no idea Dale had posted the pic's on here. In fact, I only saw the pic's on our local BB tonight as well. The pic's did turn out good though :thank you Thatcher.

Vlad, the car is still a work in progress. Interior and exterior have taken place over the last 12 months. I still have some interior work to do this summer and will replace the base evo III wing with a carbon fibre DTM replica which will raise the DTM flap up another inch to the real position on the race car.

My intent is to make a DTM replica while keeping the interior nice enough to show the car. I have new anthracite carpeting and Recaro SRD's with Schroth 6 point harnesses on the inside. For now I've opted for a custom built bolt in bar rather than a welded in cage. I may change in the future, we'll see. The race car had fibreglass panels on the doors. I am upgrading to carbon fibre door panels but the look will be similar.

Next winter I will replace my Dinan stage III suspension with a coil over set-up and increase the spring rates. That should allow me to lower the car to a more reasonable height.

Your comment on the wheels cracks me up though :ha: Pictures of the current race car show it with 3 piece BBS style 50 wheels with white centers and chrome rims. I acquired a set of old E34 basket weaves and the white powdercoat and machined rims were the best I could do for now to approximate the current race rims.
                      The original race car used white centerlock racing OZ's, but those are unobtainable right now. Someday, I hope to get the 3 piece BBS's but need to complete the restoration before spending that much on the wheels.

I'm glad you all like what I have done so far though. It was my daily driver, but at 257,000 miles was in serious need of a restoration and conversion to weekend show and lapping/track car.

I decided on the #27 car Steve Soper drove to 4th place in the 1990 24 hours of SPA. I liked the livery better than the more famous #5 Bastos/Fina car he won the 1992 race with, though Conrad Timms in New Zealand has done a very nice looking replica of that car.

Photo's of the process are at: http://picasaweb.google.com/otterbuns/my91M3
                      If you click on the individual pic's you can see my comments on the photo's.
                      William Buchanan
                      '91 M3
                      Bastos/Castrol DTM Tribute
                      259000 miles and still an immense pleasure to drive.
                      "The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about, or choose to ignore"

Comment

I finally figured out that Bastos is a cigarette company.

By the way, the car looks great Will.
                        2000 Subaru Legacy GT
                        1995 BMW M3
                        1988 BMW M3
                        2002 Honda CBR954RR
                        1993 Honda VFR400R
                        1992 Honda CBR600F2
                        1992 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Wow! the attention to detail is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by CourtM3 View Post
                            Wow! the attention to detail is amazing!
                            My decal guy Robert said I was the most anal customer he's ever had! I had the measuring stick out and the pictures of the original car as well as a minichamps model out in the garage the whole 5 days it took to put the graphic's on. I was measuring everything :rolling:

I finally figured out that Bastos is a cigarette company.
                            I had originally looked at the Bigazzi Shell car of the Italian touring car series but decided I didn't want to be driving a billboard for an oil company. I had the idea that no one in the US would know what Bastos was, and Castrol is a good brand. So far it's working out. I loved the livery much better as well.
                            William Buchanan
                            '91 M3
                            Bastos/Castrol DTM Tribute
                            259000 miles and still an immense pleasure to drive.
                            "The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about, or choose to ignore"

Comment

Beautiful job Bill!

Looks really good all put together. Your hard work has paid off!

Don McAdams
                              1988 E30 M3
                              "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Working...
                              X