Coated stainless steel brake lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coated stainless steel brake lines?

Who sells them? When I purchased SS lines for my cabrio (from TMS), I was bummed to see that the braided steel was not teflon coated. I will be swapping the suspension from the cabrio to the M3 shortly, but would rather install new coated lines than re-use these. If the lines were easy to replace it would not be a big deal, but those inner rear lines really suck

Thanks!

If there stainless steel why would you want them coated?
    I know Goodridge make some that are stainless steel braided hoses with either zinc plated connectors or you can get them with stainless one also. Not sure who in the US sells them. I know they have a website and they might have some distributors listed on there who are in the US.
    "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

The lines in Daves pick are identical to those fitted on my car. They are steel but not stainless as I see rust discoloration on my examples.
      m.

Comment

Are you sure that it's rust? Stainless Steel isn't really stainless. You can buy stainless steel cleaner.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

the reason it is coated is so no dirt gets into the braid and wears away the tube and abrasion resistance. i only use goodridge line and ive been told by many racers that you should change them every 2-3 years due to the dirt getting in.

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Yes, the outer coating is to protect the steel from the elements (dirt, water, etc) which can cause the steel to deteriorate, and therefore damage the inner rubber line. That is why it is suggested that you replace non-coated lines every couple of years.

Goodridge makes lines for our cars? Do you know of any place that sells them?

Here is a pic of the Galfer lines which I have on my bike. On a motorcycle, the coating also helps protect the parts of the bike that the lines may rub against.

Thanks!

Comment

stoptech and bavauto both sell coated lines...

i can't tell if they are the same manufacturer , but either way at nearly the same price i'm getting them from stoptech

jeff
              1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

I wrapped mine very tight with electrical tape and used zip ties at both ends. Two years and six months later the tape is still there, no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by M3Pilot
                  If there stainless steel why would you want them coated?
                  I know Goodridge make some that are stainless steel braided hoses with either zinc plated connectors or you can get them with stainless one also. Not sure who in the US sells them. I know they have a website and they might have some distributors listed on there who are in the US.
                  We are a top level Goodridge distributor in the States.

We can have the sets made up with about 8 different colors of vinyl covering on the outside (including "carbon" which is a barely transparent very dark gray) and with either the cad plated standard swaged hose ends or the extremely beautiful stainless steel hose ends. (colors: red, green, blue, dark blue, black, yellow, carbon and clear)

AFAIK no-one has ever offered for sale a brake-line set with stainless steel hose ends. That's usually just bikes that get that (the Harley guys get electroless nickel plate because it's shiny).

I could set up an S14.net group buy here if someone wants to spearhead it? Options would be any color covering and either SS or standard cad plate hose ends. The lines with SS hose ends will be more expensive.

Usually just pro-race teams use the SS hose ends. But if it were my street car that's what I would use. Hey, that's a good idea...I think that the Evo8 and project E36 will get those (The racecar already has about half and half...they're the reusable type, not the swaged type hose ends though

Andrew
                  Last edited by AndrewT(Do not do business with me).; 11-30-2003, 04:48 PM.

Comment

yes i would be in on that. just need prices on them and from there on we'll take it.
                    Old School

Comment

Sparco makes coated stainless steel brakelines

Comment

Sparco makes coated stainless steel brakelines

Comment

Oh it's rusty braid alright. My cutlery does'nt have this problem.

Comment

I have a set of the Goodridge lines with SS connections (bare braid). Its a small price upgrade over the zinc coated version but well worth it IMHO. Here is a cost list from a group buy I organized earlier this year. I'm sure the price could be improved upon by a good margin from a US distributor.

[snip]

Applied exchange rate when order was placed = $1.59 per 1 UK Pound

Clutch line kit (zinc plated connections) = $26
                            14GBP + VAT (17.5%) x exchange rate ($1.59) = $26.16

Clutch line kit (stainless steel connections) = $28
                            15GBP + VAT (17.5%) x exchange rate ($1.59) = $28.02

4pc brake line kit (zinc plated connections) = $75
                            40GBP + VAT (17.5%) x exchange rate ($1.59) = $74.73

6pc brake line kit (zinc plated connections) = $112
                            60GBP + VAT (17.5%) x exchange rate ($1.59) = $112.10

6pc brake line kit (stainless steel connections) = $127
                            68GBP + VAT (17.5%) x exchange rate ($1.59) = $127.04

[snip]

HTH,
                            Jake Larsen

P.S. And I took a loss at those prices!

Comment

Jake, what has been your experience with the ss clutchline? I was thinking of having a local shop make me one.

Comment

Working...
                              X