Coated stainless steel brake lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, thanks for the info guys!

Andrew, I think a group buy would be great and I would be happy to assist with that if needed. What would today's price be for a 6-piece line kit + clutch line (all with stainless steel fittings)?

Thanks!

Comment

Jake, what has been your experience with the ss clutchline? I was thinking of having a local shop make me one.
      Hi Colin,

I haven't tried it out myself yet. I need a road worthy M3 first. :sosad:

However, the few people that emailed me back after they installed theirs said they thought it improved feel. I don't really think its anything significant but to each their own. I picked one up just for gee whiz. Here is a pic of it uninstalled.

The one thing I found odd was that some people reported that the installation was not straight forward. The line won't reach to where it should on the slave cylinder so you have to turn it upside down with the bleed nipple facing down. I didn't think much of it for a while until I got to looking at a slave cylinder diagram.

As it turns out the slave cylinder was originally intended to be mounted with the bleed nipple facing down anyway. Looking at it you'd think you'd want it on top so you could get all the air out when bleeding it, that is if the internal passages are drilled as you'd expect. But it's a little known fact that this isn't the case and the slave cylinder nipple is actually drilled into the far end of the chamber. So with the nipple pointing down, the internal passage leading to it actually comes into the chamber at the top, where it should. This screen capture from the factory manual depicts what the internals look like in the slave cylinder.

So anyway, something to keep in mind and helpful to know if you ever have to bleed the clutch hydraulic system. I think those who ran into trouble installing their SS clutch line and then reported they had to turn their slave cylinders upside down were actually correcting something that had be done at some point in time long before they ever got under there. Someone goes to bleed their clutch and thinks "hey, this would work so much better if the bleed nipple was on top!" So they turn it around and presto! There's no reason anybody else would know the difference.

So be sure to bleed it with the slave cylinder bleed nipple facing down. Unless I'm not in the know and there are slave cylinders out there that do not follow the design that the above diagram from BMW depicts.

HTH,
      Jake Larsen

Comment

Thanks Jake. I realize that the clutch hydraulics don't see the same pressure that the brake system does, but I figured it would improve the feel of the pedal a bit. It seems to be a popular mod with the drag racing crowd for this reason.

Comment

Did anything ever become of this ?

Just wondering before I get non coated lines

Jeff
          Originally posted by AndrewT
          We are a top level Goodridge distributor in the States.

We can have the sets made up with about 8 different colors of vinyl covering on the outside (including "carbon" which is a barely transparent very dark gray) and with either the cad plated standard swaged hose ends or the extremely beautiful stainless steel hose ends. (colors: red, green, blue, dark blue, black, yellow, carbon and clear)

AFAIK no-one has ever offered for sale a brake-line set with stainless steel hose ends. That's usually just bikes that get that (the Harley guys get electroless nickel plate because it's shiny).

I could set up an S14.net group buy here if someone wants to spearhead it? Options would be any color covering and either SS or standard cad plate hose ends. The lines with SS hose ends will be more expensive.

Usually just pro-race teams use the SS hose ends. But if it were my street car that's what I would use. Hey, that's a good idea...I think that the Evo8 and project E36 will get those (The racecar already has about half and half...they're the reusable type, not the swaged type hose ends though

Andrew
          1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

Jake..

You're absolutely right about the design..

I disassembled a spare a have in a drawer
            and took some pictures of it... I've put them
            om this link:

http://www.cecotto.dk/images/clutchslavecyl.htm
            Steffen Otto Jensen
            จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
            1989 318is
            1989 M3 Cecotto (196/505)
            www.cecotto.dk

Comment

Originally posted by JLee
              Did anything ever become of this ?

Just wondering before I get non coated lines

Jeff
              Same here.

Comment

On my E30 325 I just used the non-coated lines. I bought several yards heat-shrink tubing for a song and it has held up fine. If I were to do it again I might double-coat the tubing.

Comment

digging up an old post... where, now can we get coated SS lines or does this even matter?! thanks for help...
                  1990 e30 m3

Comment

I'm also still curious about the clutch-line. Shifting in the M3 is much slower than in the 325e.

Comment

At one point in time I think Andrew Taylor was going to make it available in the US since he is (or was) a Goodridge distributor. I haven't seen him around in a long time though so I don't know if he's still in the business.

IIRC, it was a special Nigel Mosley/Goodridge part number anyway, so don't know how that would work in the US. If I had the time I'd organize another group buy myself. I can't make it happen fast enough though; I'm flying to US next week and I'll be gone for a month.

HTH
                      Jake Larsen

Comment

Working...
                      X