Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter

Hi

Ive done a search and could not find anything on how to replace the fuel filter?? I have some hesitation on the RPM and want to replace this before i look deeper.

can any body guide me?

Ive read on another forum that they are located up front in the engine bay??

Ive seen on normal e30 the filter adjacent to the rear wheel.

Any advice given would be gratefull.

Thanks.

In front of the drivers rear wheel. Remember which way it's oriented. It's a pretty easy job.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Right at the back edge of the driver's door, and in front of the L/R tire like Reeliz said.

Dead nuts easy, unbolt it, open and close two hose clamps and you're done.

Comment

Not a bad idea to have an extra length of fuel hose too.

There is a "pulse dampener" (looks just a like fuel pressure regulator) that isn't needed anymore and a good time to delete it. Mine was a rust-encrusted mess. Have a foot of hose handy and you can take it out of the run. (You'll only need about 6"to create a clean run from the front of the filter to the hard line attached to the body.)

I bought selection of hose from the local auto parts store (coolant and fuel...all different sizes...they sell it by the foot. Make sure you're using fuel hose ) and it has come in very handy on lots of different jobs. Peace of mind when you replace the part to have a clean length of fresh hose.

Have something to catch the gas as it will come out under pressure. I gave the hose a good knick with the utility knife on the bottom and then pushed down on the top so I could "control" where it went. If you do it this way, when you push down on the hose, do it with conviction so it comes out in a stream/squirt and not in a mist...also not a bad idea to do it when the car is cold...hot exhaust is less than ideal when separating a fuel line.

The arrow on the filter should point toward the engine.

If the filter hasn't been touched in a while, take some care with the band clamps around the filter itself. A shot of Rost-off or other oil on the threads and the screw will make it easier to tighten and loosen plus you'll be less likely to bitch it up.

I know this was a lot of detail but I don't know you're level of skill and I just did this last night so its fresh in my head.

Feel free to hit me with any questions.
        - Dave

1988 "ALPNWEIB"

sigpic

1986 944 Turbo
        2003 Audi S6
        2007 Touareg V8

Comment

do you know what size of fuel hose?
          is it 3/8" or 5/16" etc?
          i was checking advanced auto parts
          http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...egoryCode=3604

Comment

If I remember correctly, it was the 3/8"....9.5mm inner diameter.

I did try the 1/4" (6.35mm) but it was too small. Best to have a bit of each in case I'm wrong but I"m 99% it was the 3/8".
            - Dave

1988 "ALPNWEIB"

sigpic

1986 944 Turbo
            2003 Audi S6
            2007 Touareg V8

Comment

If you wanted to be PC and only use OEM stuff, the BMW p/n:13 31 1 469 781 sold by the meter but you could upgrade to some Aeroquip 3/8" stainless or ultralite though.
              Rich!

Comment

I like details like such as your instructions Dave. Thanks for the information. I was wondering though, where is pulse dampener in relation to the filter. I am away from my M3 right now and cant get a look at it but is the dampener near the fuel filter? Are all M3s equiped with this dampener?
                89 Alpineweiss II M3

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
                  If you wanted to be PC and only use OEM stuff, the BMW p/n:13 31 1 469 781 sold by the meter but you could upgrade to some Aeroquip 3/8" stainless or ultralite though.
                  Yes....or that.

Sanctuary E30 M3:

Some leave the dampener in place and others will delete it with a clean length of hose...I can only assume you'd leave it there if you endeavor to replace the filter without having any hose on hand. Mine was still there so I did away with it.

The in-line pump sits above the filter (literally) and a hose forms a "U" and goes into the filter...3" hose...into dampener...3" hose...into the hard line that clips into the body.

I'll try to find a pic and post it up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sorry...there was supposed to be a note in there giving schwartzman props for providing correct part number :yowzah: but it didn't come through...
                  Last edited by dspock; 04-22-2008, 05:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  - Dave

1988 "ALPNWEIB"

sigpic

1986 944 Turbo
                  2003 Audi S6
                  2007 Touareg V8

Comment

I'd make sure you guys are using hose that is rated for FI systems. The newer hoses are rated at 100psi working pressure, 900psi burst strength and have a Nitrile liner on the inside which protects the rubber from eroding away while also keeping the EPA happy. The stock pump puts out what, 70psi? That's a quick way to fuel a fire!

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144

Also, a safe way to unpressurized your fuel system before working on it is to pull your fuel pump relay and then crank the motor a few times. I've been sprayed enough times to figure that one out :(
                    Last edited by getouttamyway; 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM.
                    --
                    1974 BMW M2 (for sale, some assembly required)
                    1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Pickup (Caddy)
                    1984 MBZ 300SD (hers)
                    1991 Honda CBR600 F2
                    1995 BMW 318ti

Comment

wow, more info than what i needed, but thanks for the reply guys.

Will give this a go this weekend and will post back.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by getouttamyway View Post
                        Also, a safe way to unpressurized your fuel system before working on it is to pull your fuel pump relay and then crank the motor a few times. I've been sprayed enough times to figure that one out :(
                        +1 good tip for whenever your working on the fuel system.
                        '91 SpecE30 #523
                        '03 540i/6 M-Sport
                        '00 F-350 Dually
                        BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
                        My Track Schedule

Comment

It is an 8MM/20MM line from BMW. 8MM for ID and 20MM for OD. 8MM translates to 5/16 inch line give or take a couple of thousandths. Checker Auto has a nice Goodyear hose that is pretty cheap. Be sure you get fuel injection hose, the regular hose can't handle the pressure!

-Kelly

Comment

this one?
                            http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3604

Comment

When I changed my fuel pump (to a two door SierraCosworth pump) I cant remember seeing a fuel filter under there. All I remember was a sircular thing before the pump and the "pulse damper"....
                              1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Comment

Working...
                              X