Japanese E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADA///M
    As long as he's getting enough cool air to it....

It looks like a track car...so im sure the cone filter is fine...

ADA///M
    I tired using the factory filter box with the A-N and it works, but I found that the filter box became a restriction. So I cut a chunk out of the bottom of it. That would be similar to a cone filter.

There was a definite improvement in performance.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I think they're RG-Mg's (the magnesium rims)... which are available in 18" for BMW bolt pattern. $1600 a piece, weighing in at 16.3lbs/7.4Kg.

Though they look more RG-F's though, but those only come in 15 and 16 so i don't think they are. RG-F's are now available through Tire Rack in 15" for 4-bolt E30's.. forged ultralight.

RG-F..
      Last edited by AlexMc; 12-03-2003, 12:33 PM.
      Alex McHenry

Comment

Those rims are:
        BBS Racing DTM 8.2J-17

I don't believe there out in the U.S., or even if they make them anymore. Here are other E30 M3's in Japan w/ same rims. Very nice pictures BTW. Seems to be the goto rim for hardcore E30 M3 people in Japan.

More Japanese E30 M3 w/ same rims

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

more than likely its a JDM BBS wheel
          BBS Japan makes a TON of wheels that are for that market only
          this may be one of them
          1995 //S6

Comment

Originally posted by Chapel
            more than likely its a JDM BBS wheel
            BBS Japan makes a TON of wheels that are for that market only
            this may be one of them
            From what I understand, all the forged BBS rims come out of Japan. That is where BBS has there heavy machinery for forging rims.

97 Porsche Carrera S
            13 Audi S6
            SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
            GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

exactly
              BUT not all of their forged rims make it outside of the Japanese Domestic Market
              1995 //S6

Comment

I pulled those pictures directly from the BBS Japan website fellas.
                Alex McHenry

Comment

right, but Im saying that its probably one of their earlier NLA wheels

BBS Japan rarely runs a wheel type for more than one year... it seems every year a new style or name is available
                  1995 //S6

Comment

Originally posted by AlexMc
                    I pulled those pictures directly from the BBS Japan website fellas.
                    I know, it's a great website! I've been drooling over their selection for a very long time, especially the forged RS-1 classics.

All i'm saying is that I DO NO think the wheels on the particular japanese E30 M3 are the RG-mg's or the RG-F's.

I agree with Chapel that these rims are now NLA. If those rims run 8.2 inches wide, then the design may be off the same mold/press...
                    Last edited by SeattleE30///M3; 12-03-2003, 01:09 PM.

97 Porsche Carrera S
                    13 Audi S6
                    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Guys, I meant the Super RS, not the RS1 Classics.

BTW, i just checked the website, neither of the new BBS rims are 8.2 inches wide. I believe these are NLA race specific rims.

97 Porsche Carrera S
                      13 Audi S6
                      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Ok, well whatever.. they're NLA rims then. *yawn*
                        Alex McHenry

Comment

Originally posted by AlexMc
                          *yawn*
                          I couldn't agree more

97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I wonder how well it does

I mean against the other japanese cars that are there? Would an e30 m3 be competitive against a skyline for example?

Chris

Comment

I would say that choosing the right weapon for the battle and terrain would make the deciding factors.

I think this video illustrates the idea pretty well. ...thou not of BMW's.
                              http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pd...eShowdown2.asf

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Re: I wonder how well it does

Originally posted by ccbm3
                                I mean against the other japanese cars that are there? Would an e30 m3 be competitive against a skyline for example?

Chris
                                depends on the track
                                If its something like Sugo, yeah, sure thats plenty competitive
                                the Skyline's power wouldn't help it at all

MOST Japanese tracks are very tight and winding with only one or two main straights

Sugo is one of the more open tracks along with Suzuka
                                but most of the smaller tracks double as kart tracks/drifting courses/small road courses

Skylines really only dominate on the highway and the larger courses where their power can be strung out

However you do have to worry about cars like the AE86, FD3C RX7s and the like
                                Most AE86s out there run a blacktop or silvertop 20V 4A-GE from a later model Corolla and can produce in excess of 220bhp. That engine coupled with that chassis means that they can tackle most courses in Japan in either 2nd or 3rd gear as those engines have alot of range and the chassis is light enough that it can use between 5000rpm and 10000rpm

However European cars are not normally used because of the heavy taxation.
                                Non-JDM cars are taxed heavily as well as ANY car over 5 years old
                                So a European car thats over 5 years old is generally taxed 6 times as much as a newer Japanese car
                                1995 //S6

Comment

Working...
                                X