info needed for m5 brake swap..anyone know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info needed for m5 brake swap..anyone know

Ijust got my first e30 m3.I am building a race car out of it and just wanted some info on the m5 brake swap..What parts etc... or if anyone knows of a diy thread..Thanks in advance.

You mean E36 M3 brakes?

Comment

I think the only info is... it won't fit.

Comment

Waste of time and money if you are going racing. Get a Massive, Brembo, etc. kit and you will be miles ahead.

My 2 cents.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by empty View Post
          Waste of time and money if you are going racing. Get a Massive, Brembo, etc. kit and you will be miles ahead.

My 2 cents.

Mike
          Exactly. Why reinvent the wheel? Both the Massive and Brembo are proven effective.

Comment

true.i have loked into the kits..just trying to be cost effective in the long run. i have heard of people using the m5 set up on e30 m3s, are the bullsh$ting or?

Comment

If you are really building a race car, then buy race parts...they are the most cost effective in the long run...also more effective in performance and time required to maintain.

Who are these "people"? Are they racers or ricers? What race cars, other than stock class cars, do you notice with stock style brakes? There is a reason for the trend.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by backinblack325i View Post
                true.i have loked into the kits..just trying to be cost effective in the long run. i have heard of people using the m5 set up on e30 m3s, are the bullsh$ting or?
                For the oil cooler yes, but not for brakes.

Maybe you're thinking of the 535i calipers which bolt right on but have a sligghtly larger piston.
                sigpic
                2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

just curious..i have seen them on some show cars etc..didnt know if anyone has any experience with them..and my racer friend is joe vaccaro..i think thats how you spell his last name..i am working on getting the e36 m3 brake set up for it..i am getting spacers made..and few extra sets to sell..they will be steel..

Comment

The caliper you need is from a E34 540i or E32 735i (watch out for the E32, there is a version with a thinner disk in the 730i)
                    Disk is from a Merc 500E or SL129 320. They will be not as good as a proper BBK but will fit with any stock rim and do improve braking over the stock setup.

the merc disk needs enlarging the centre bore and elongating the PCD from 112mm to 120mm. Just done a set of Brembo disk for my car yesterday. 70 for the disk. Pads will fit from E36 M3, E34 M5, 540i, 735i.

The caliper bracket needs the bosses milled down where they are bolted to the strut to move the caliper further out.

The Merc disk is 300 x 28mm

I have posted a write up here (sorry german)
                    http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...464/f00464.htm
                    Last edited by UweM3; 05-08-2008, 11:39 PM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
                    X