oil seporator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil seporator

Any one know if i need the oil separator?
    I don't have a port on my oil pan and was going to run a catch can but since i have very little space I was wondering if i could get rid of the whole shebang and what I'd have to do hose wise??

Thanks,
    Jake

you should search on this.... I know that I do not run mine... several people with the CF box have eliminated it... I am not sure that I know of folks who have removed it with a stock engine/intake but if they've done it, it's probably in the archives.
    Mark Williams
    Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

This thread discusses the oil separator function and removal. This link was posted as response to another question on the SIG email list this very morning! Good timing.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12673

Hope it helps.
      Dominic

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've been so busy my searching for 5 minutes didn't reveal much so I appreciate the link.

still a bit confused though (tired 4am need to sleep)

do I run the hose from the valve cover to a catch can and put a filter on the hose from the plenum?

sorry if I'm not making sense must sleep and try again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
        Jake

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ok mark,

I did a few more minutes of searching and its starting to make more sense.

I really need sleep now.

Thanks again.
        Last edited by Rally02; 05-09-2008, 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Think of it this way... any air into the plenum *must* come through the AFM or else you will have an unknown amount of air heading into the cylinders. So any ports off the airbox/plenum should be plumbed very carefully or sealed up.

So... you could do hose from cylinder head --> catch can --> plenum. That would be the most environmentally friendly way. This also still pulls a vacuum in the crankcase. Another way would be cylinder head --> catch can --> filter. Then you plug the plenum port.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One last thought, if you do feed the catch can back to the plenum, then you are opening a vacuum leak where the oil separator would drain back to the oil pan. You'd have to plug that connection.
          Last edited by Thor; 05-09-2008, 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
          "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Get a generic one or get a nice Cusco or Greddy one.
            Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
            1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car (Will Convert to M3 Spec soon)
            1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
            2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com

Comment

Working...
            X