Bilstein sports or Koni Yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilstein sports or Koni Yellow

Ok so I have spent a good 30 mniutes going over old posts and still can find a hands down definitive answer as to what shocks: bilstein sports or Koni sport (yellow) will be an all around best match for H&R Race springs. I can live with a harsh ride but not with a soft one. Also are there more than one Koni shock option? All I get from their site is the Koni Yellows to fit the M. All input appreciated.

the koni can be adjusted

Comment

Bilsteins for me. Koni's seem to need a lot of force to get them going (i.e. small bumps get ignored)
      I was thinking to fit a set of GAZ if my Bilstein's getting old.
      http://www.gaz-shocks.co.uk/

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Running H&R Race and Bilstein Sports and no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by 2pur2ride View Post
          Ok so I have spent a good 30 mniutes going over old posts and still can find a hands down definitive answer as to what shocks: bilstein sports or Koni sport (yellow) will be an all around best match for H&R Race springs. I can live with a harsh ride but not with a soft one. Also are there more than one Koni shock option? All I get from their site is the Koni Yellows to fit the M. All input appreciated.
          There is only one Koni (yelllow ) which are single adjustable. What is the application? Street car? track car?
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

You should be able to get dual adjust Konis from more specific suspension shops. Check out TC Kline ect. Ground control also sells the Advanced Design dual adjust setup as well. There are many more options out there, but these ones are on the cheaper end.

I have a car with Bilstien sports and H&R sports a car with Konis and lightly sprung coil overs (350F/600R). The car with the konis feels so much better due to the adjustable rebound dialed in. The back and of the car with Bilstiens "floats" going around corners making the back end feel really light. I couldnt even imagine using spring rates higher than the H&R sports. The car with the konis (rear on full still, then backed off a tad) feels so much more predictable to me and does ot have the floating rear end feature.

If you get the knois though, pay extra to get the top adjust rears, its worth it.

Just my .02
            -Nick

1991 E30 with the "other" 16v 4cyl

Comment

I say Koni yellows, unless you want to revalve your bilsteins for a particular liner spring setup.
              Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
              1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car (Will Convert to M3 Spec soon)
              1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
              2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com

Comment

I love the Koni adjustables, firm for the track, mild for the street with a few turns of a tool, very easy and so effective

Comment

Many people will go for Koni SA's because they are adjustable which is a big advantage over Bilsteins and it's what Ground Control recommends with their coilovers. As far as I know, GC is the only one who sells the top adjustable Koni's which are the ones you want instead of the off the shelf SA's which are a bitch to adjust. The Bilsteins sports will also be cheaper than the Koni's and probably more heavy duty than the Koni's in the long run.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                  85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                  91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Well I'm not tracking the car, maybe a couple DE events a year if that. But still I like to feel a stiff setup. I have HR sports with the Billy sports and I can feel the back hunching on acceleration every time. That is probably more of a softer spring issue but maybe the variable rebound can help a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X