Thin valve shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin valve shims?

I am needing some thing valve shims (under 3mm). Appears the Volvo shims stop at 3.3mm and the S14 ones stop at 3.00? Any ideas on where to get some that are 2.7-2.95? I have found some, but they are $8+ each.

I figure $8 each is reasonable. Don't the BMW shims cost more than that?

Are you sure the cam lobes won't scrape on the edge of the shim bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
      I am needing some thing valve shims (under 3mm). Appears the Volvo shims stop at 3.3mm and the S14 ones stop at 3.00? Any ideas on where to get some that are 2.7-2.95? I have found some, but they are $8+ each.
      tack weld a pair of pliers to the backside of the S14 shims, and use a bench grinder... :hee:

Volvo/VW shims are the thinnest that I know of, sorry!
      -C
      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        I figure $8 each is reasonable. Don't the BMW shims cost more than that?
        I need about 20 of them (counting extras). These are prices from a BMW dealer.

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        Are you sure the cam lobes won't scrape on the edge of the shim bucket?
        ??? Why would they?

Comment

??? Why would they?
          My wager is that Ironhead is thinking that you're using cams with a higher lift, so a longer "sweep", resulting in needing thinner shims. This could in theory lead to the cam contacting the edge of the shim buckets...

Or my logic could be totally flawed.

-Chris
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
            My wager is that Ironhead is thinking that you're using cams with a higher lift, so a longer "sweep", resulting in needing thinner shims. This could in theory lead to the cam contacting the edge of the shim buckets...

Or my logic could be totally flawed.

-Chris
            Sounds reasonable....but, I never said S14.

Looks like $8/per is the best I can do. BMW dealer in MN wants nearly $20 each!

Comment

probably not an Alfa Romeo dealer in Tyler, TX
              Mark Williams
              Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to have them mailed anyway....

What model Alfa?

Comment

no idea.. WillTX sourced them from a shop in Fort Worth.
                  IIRC he used lash caps for regrinds and then needed very thin shims.. I don't know if they were below 3.00 though.
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Searching Alfa shows shims down to below 2 mm.

I'll email Will.

Comment

Found this to be an issue with euro sixes. Seems to be common for builders to set valve stem heights tall in order to use a minimal thickness shim. We then change cams with a slightly different base circle and standard shims do not work.

I put shims into a surface grinder to make the thickness I need. A really good machine shop in your area should have one.

Rigoli
                      sigpic

Comment

FYI Fiat valve shims fit...~$2/each. I have some on order.

Comment

You may wanna try these http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=11&fg=25

2.5 L track car (284/276, 11.25:1, Stage III head, Alpha-N, DTM CF manifold, Sport EVO header, etc) and a 2.6 L street car (276/264, 11:1, Sub-box in the trunk).

Comment

I need about 20 of them (counting extras). These are prices from a BMW dealer.

??? Why would they?
                            You might as well unfold the wallet and convert to the shim-under-bucket set up. Really thin shims can be plucked out by the aggressive cam lobes.

If you simply spring for shims you may have to clearance the lifter buckets for the lobe throw so that they don't pluck the shims out or crack the lifter buckets.

This is necessary on OHC volkswagen with race cams and solid lifters to prevent bucket damage and lifter ejection. The cam lobes and heavier valve springs pack a good punch.

m

Comment

Originally posted by dynospot View Post
                              Yep, those are the ones...$6-8 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X