Need to be talked out of selling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to be talked out of selling...

Hey guys, I haven't been around much... and it's got a direct link to the amount of time I've spent with the M.

I'm thinking of selling... I don't really want to... I don't need the money, but it seems a shame for the car to sit around. The roads here suck, they're beat to hell, no twists, and I can't drive the car in the snow (6mnths). Ultimately I'm thinking it's better to let the car go to someone who has time and can use the car to it's real purpose. I'm getting tired of keeping 2 cars around, and in the long run I'm going to have to rebuild the engine/tranny which will run more money than I think I'd like to spend on a 3k mi/yr car. I'm getting close to neglecting the car which isn't good. I no longer have the time and interest in the car as a hobby I guess... maybe it's just a phase.

On the other hand, those few times I do get to drive it, it is fun!

And now commences the rush of post from those that want to buy the car vs. those that already have one!

All I can say is drive it more often. Just be absolutely sure you want to sell it before doing so.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Get some snow tires! Hose it off when you are done doing your "rallies" through town. Driving it is the best way to stay interested (or maybe thats moding it). I was about to sell mine when I took it for a jaunt in the mountains where I live and realized why I decided not to sell last time I got the itch. The car isn't going to fall apart when it touches snow. Stay with us here Beau, if you sell you will kick yourself on every subsequent sunny day!

-Kelly

Comment

Put down the pipe and go out right now and take it for a spin.

Have you tried Autocrossing or HPDE? Even if you are not a competitive person by nature autocrossing will give you a good excuse to drive it.

Trust me, if you've never experienced an E30M3 on the track at least once you're missing the whole point of what this car was built to do. I hate driving my M3 on the street.

Here in Metro NY we have traffic from hell, crappy flat roads and the same lousy weather as you. To this I add, I'd never sell.

NHIS with the Boston Chapter would be an easy drive for you right? Less than 100 bucks for a first timer.

http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org/hpd_school.html

Comment

Ixnay on the snow tires. You haven't experienced snow and salt the same way we do up here. I've driven in CO, you guys use chains and such because there's so little sand/salt to go around. I've never seen a car with chains here. Salt will, in fact destroy a car with rust from new in under 10yrs. My M3, which has been completely gone through for rust and POR'd is still, now, 3yrs later showing rust even sitting in the barn the entire season. Figure that one out.

Easy drive to NH? No, not exactly. It's 4hrs, and my priorities are to sailing ever weekend during the summer which is where my competitive spirit is focused. Driving on the highway all that way doesn't interest me. I have auto-x'd a number of times. Definitely a good time, but we really don't have much of a scene here - and again it conflicts with the time on water.

This is my dilemna. We'll see. A good friend of mine is pleading with me to keep it for another year so he can buy it!
          Last edited by Beau; 05-09-2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Every time I've sold an E30, M or otherwise, I've always gotten back into one a few months later. Once you're hooked, that's it. Save yourself the trouble, skip the step, and just keep this one.

Comment

m

The Sea has a whole different calling than driving. When i go down to the Keys to Scuba dive the high is completly different than driving my M. I picked up my car in Maine and everything there is geared for outdoor fun. If i where in Maine i might not drive my car as much either.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftBMW View Post
                Every time I've sold an E30, M or otherwise, I've always gotten back into one a few months later. Once you're hooked, that's it. Save yourself the trouble, skip the step, and just keep this one.
                Similar to ShiftBMW - I sold my original E30 M3 back in '98 and have been chasing it since! It's been 10 years and have regretted it everyday since

Good luck with your decision. Go with your gut.
                1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

As long as you have somewhere to store it, away from the elements, I would suggest you keep the car. Even if that means you driving it only 3k miles. Or, you can always move to somewhere with some nice twisties.:ha:

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                    Ixnay on the snow tires. You haven't experienced snow and salt the same way we do up here. I've driven in CO, you guys use chains and such because there's so little sand/salt to go around. I've never seen a car with chains here. Salt will, in fact destroy a car with rust from new in under 10yrs. My M3, which has been completely gone through for rust and POR'd is still, now, 3yrs later showing rust even sitting in the barn the entire season. Figure that one out.

Easy drive to NH? No, not exactly. It's 4hrs, and my priorities are to sailing ever weekend during the summer which is where my competitive spirit is focused. Driving on the highway all that way doesn't interest me. I have auto-x'd a number of times. Definitely a good time, but we really don't have much of a scene here - and again it conflicts with the time on water.

This is my dilemna. We'll see. A good friend of mine is pleading with me to keep it for another year so he can buy it!

Beau - as in Beau Christensen from the Bosto Chapter who used to autocross with us?
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Don't do it.... Keep the car.
                      Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftBMW View Post
                        Originally posted by L James View Post
                        Similar to ShiftBMW - I sold my original E30 M3 back in '98 and have been chasing it since! It's been 10 years and have regretted it everyday since

Good luck with your decision. Go with your gut.
                        Hahaha yep same story here. I sold my 325is S50 as you see in my avatar, then 3 months later I found a S52 e30 M3. It was about 350 miles away from my house. I told myself, let me just drive over and take a look at it.....I'm definitely not buying it.....it will be just for fun!!!!! Two weeks later I'm trailoring it home.....BAHAHAHA

Comment

Beau,
                          I'll offer this from a long time E30 M3 owner.

I own three E30 M3s, a pretty darn nice 48K mile Zinnoberot street car, my silver race car that many on here know, and my BTCC car.

I live in Northeast PA, so my weather situation is not much diferent than yours.
                          I am on the road 200 - 250 days a year, have been for almost 25 years.
                          My cars sit. They sit alot. My red street car,,, didnt roll 1 street mile last year because I was so busy. My Touring Car,,, saw the light of day for one event (SIGFEST of all things,,, a car show basically).
                          To this I say,,, so what.

They are mine, I own them I love them,, and some day,,, God willing,,, I'll have more time to play with them. If Gods not willing and I keel over tomorrow,,, someone will end up with some nice cars. If he is,,, then I have them and I will not regret ever selling them because they were sitting.
                          It doesnt hurt them to sit no matter what anyone says.
                          My red car runs and drives just like the day I bought it when I drive it.
                          It doesn't leak, it doesn't smoke, it has the same compression it did the day I brought it home,,, and I drive it at MOST 1500 miles a year,,, some years it doesn't turn a wheel.
                          Dont sweat it, cover it,,, some day you will not have to regret selling it.
                          Dont sell it just because it sits, thats silly.

If you need the space, the money or you just dont give a crap about it anymore, then thats the time to sell. But just because it sits,,, is not a good reason.
                          Hell if I were to have the time and money (at the same time) to buy another one,,, I would.

Dont sell it.
                          Just one owners opinion...
                          Cheers
                          jimmy p
                          jimmy p.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

You live in prime E30 m3 territory! If you can't find a reason to drive the car living in Maine then sell it.

I wouldn't have sold my garage queen if I didn't need a DD and the fact that as Matt said, LI sucks for e30 m3...in fact, driving LI roads almost makes you hate the car....everyone is faster than you and there is never a "twisty" to catch up! :P

Comment

Originally posted by lockolose View Post
                              The Sea has a whole different calling than driving. When i go down to the Keys to Scuba dive the high is completly different than driving my M. I picked up my car in Maine and everything there is geared for outdoor fun. If i where in Maine i might not drive my car as much either.

I agree with this. If the water holds your love, desire and passion then pursue that. If you are not passioned by streeting your M3 then sell it away to somebody who can appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X