Door lock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door lock problem

I've had 4 e30's and they have all had great central locking systems. Unfortunately the m3 my dad drives is not doing so well at the moment.

When you put the key in the door or trunk to lock everything, you can turn it to the lock position and the doors lock and then pop right back to unlock, regardless of which position you hold the key in.

You can try to deadbolt the lock or just lock it and the doors lock and then pop right back up.

Any advice on where to start looking? I'm a central locking system virgin to these cars

TIA
    Dave

More info is needed.

Do the dome lights work?
    Does the gas door lock work?
    Does the same thing happen when you use the lock on the pass side?
    Has the car been in a accident?

Originally posted by drinaldis
    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
      More info is needed.

Do the dome lights work?
      Does the gas door lock work?
      Does the same thing happen when you use the lock on the pass side?
      Has the car been in a accident?
      door lights - yes
      gas door - no, all locks are inoperable
      pass side lock - all locks act the same
      accident - yes, front end.

Comment

The Central Locking Control Unit has an Inertia Switch that activates on impact greater that 5g. Because of the cars accident history, I would swap out that unit with a known good one, as thatís likely your problem. All e30ís equipped with central locking use the same unit. Itís located behind the Left Front speaker (by the pedals).

Hope this helps.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by drinaldis
        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

since it unlocks right after locking, i'm thinking there's an obstruction somewhere. if i don't close a door properly it'll do that same thing

so i'd check the fuel door, trunk, then the doors for proper closing
          James
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jht3 View Post
            since it unlocks right after locking, i'm thinking there's an obstruction somewhere. if i don't close a door properly it'll do that same thing

so i'd check the fuel door, trunk, then the doors for proper closing
            You could also have a bad lock actuator. Sometimes they will do exactly what JHT is stating... sometimes they'll "lock up" in the locked position and you can't unlock the door without feeling like you're about to snap off the key.

-CL
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

I'm planning to take off the drivers door panel this week and start poking around. They haven't worked since we bought the car about 2 years ago, but I gotta fix it before we get ripped off

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                You could also have a bad lock actuator. Sometimes they will do exactly what JHT is stating... sometimes they'll "lock up" in the locked position and you can't unlock the door without feeling like you're about to snap off the key.

-CL
                I was thinking the same thing. Had a similar problem when I first got my car. Took a while to troubleshoot but after a new actuator and a few door pin terminals it was good as new. Try to find a spare actuator in known good condition to troubleshoot.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

My passenger side lock is down and will not come up - neither with the key or the interior door handle.

Can I remove the door panel with the door locked closed? Any diagnostic tips?

Thank you,

JB
                  1988 Diamond Black / track
                  2006 4 Runner LTD V8 / DD
                  2003 Tahoe Z71 trail / tugger / 225,000 miles (3 trannys, same original engine)
                  1992 325ic S52, OBDI, M3 suspension (Finished!) Fast and Fun for the Mom
                  2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

had the same problem with mine when I took it out of storage. ended up being Keyless entry switch position wouldn't let the lock open

Comment

Yeah the plastic gears of the door lock motor might be stuck!
                      Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
                      1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car (Will Convert to M3 Spec soon)
                      1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
                      2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions for removing the door panel with the door closed?

I gave it my best to pull the lock up but it won't budge. I was attempting to turn the key in the door, was pulling up on the vise grip on the lock and my wife pulling on the inside handle - no luck. I'm afraid I might bend the linkages if I keep pulling on it.

Thanks,
                        John
                        1988 Diamond Black / track
                        2006 4 Runner LTD V8 / DD
                        2003 Tahoe Z71 trail / tugger / 225,000 miles (3 trannys, same original engine)
                        1992 325ic S52, OBDI, M3 suspension (Finished!) Fast and Fun for the Mom
                        2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the electronic troubleshooting manual. Has all the schematics from our cars in there. I have used it countless time. It's worth it's weight in gold for me.

http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

They haven't worked since we bought the car about 2 years ago, but I gotta fix it before we get ripped off
                            Unplug the central control unit and lock the doors and trunk manually. You can lock the gas door manually by reaching through the punchout hole in the trunk lining and sliding the deadbolt.
                            Can I remove the door panel with the door locked closed? Any diagnostic tips?
                            It sounds like yours is electrically deadbolted. The deadbolt circuit is activated by a microswitch on the driver's lock mechanism. Remove the driver side door panel and check the microswitch. I'll bet it is stuck closed or shorted. You can replace it, or disable the deadbolt function by unplugging the microswitch.
                            If your doors won't lock from the driver side without the deadbolt switch, you need to replace the worn lock cylinder. These have a known defect where the ball bearing detent wears a groove into the housing. The replacement lock cylinders are much more durable, using a roller bearing instead of a ball.
                            John
                            88 ///M3 Cinnabar
                            84 318i Black
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                              When you put the key in the door or trunk to lock everything, you can turn it to the lock position and the doors lock and then pop right back to unlock, regardless of which position you hold the key in.
                              I have an E30 (325is) with exactly this same problem. You can actually feel the actuator "rebound" when you turn the key to the lock position. My guess is the same as others -- it sounds like the actuator has gone bad. I'll replace it when I get time.

I recently replaced the lock core on the driver's side of my car. Exactly as John Arnold described, the little lever at the end of the shaft wobbled all over the place on the old core. It had gotten to the point that, no matter how far I turned the key, it wouldn't lock.

I ordered the new core from a dealer. Using the VIN they can get you a core with the same key cut as OEM. I left the lock heater unplugged when I replaced the core -- there's no chance of a frozen lock here in Florida.
                              The day ain't over yet....

Comment

Working...
                              X