Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to replace shocks, what brand and where to get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to replace shocks, what brand and where to get it?

the shocks are shot, I thought about getting Bilstein sports, same as I got on my red 325, would would you guys suggest?
    Also, who got the best prices?

Thanks for any input!

The car will be in the shop next week to replace the broken exhaust manifold studs (and blown gaskets), so it will be a good timing to replace the shocks. BTW, I was shocked when I found out that these exhaust manifold gaskets are like $20 each (I need 4), thermostat is $70, studs are $8 each (I need 16), so the total just for the parts was $220, that's like 3 times more than the prices for the regular 325 items :surprised :surprised :surprised

Re: I need to replace shocks, what brand and where to get it?

Originally posted by vlad
    the shocks are shot, I thought about getting Bilstein sports, same as I got on my red 325, would would you guys suggest?
    Also, who got the best prices?

Thanks for any input!

The car will be in the shop next week to replace the broken exhaust manifold studs (and blown gaskets), so it will be a good timing to replace the shocks. BTW, I was shocked when I found out that these exhaust manifold gaskets are like $20 each (I need 4), thermostat is $70, studs are $8 each (I need 16), so the total just for the parts was $220, that's like 3 times more than the prices for the regular 325 items :surprised :surprised :surprised
    The studs are MUCH cheaper than that from Jefrem at iigomotiv.com. I bought that and the header locking nut kit from him. The kit is a work of art. Highly recommended. I haven't replaced a thermostat but I don't think they are that expensive.

Comment

Vlad I would put in the Bilstiens, the sport and the heavyduty are the same except the sport's are used if your car is lowered. Call my friends at Autotechnic 1 (860) 350-8407 or you can go on their website www.autotechnic.net . They went to a car convention for the week ,you can probably talk to Jeff or Rob next Monday. If you do call them tell them Johnny with the m3 referd you, they will give you lowest price on Bilstiens or other products. There also located in Connecticut so you would get your stuff rather quick.

Comment

Why don't you get Koni's. I know a lot of people very happy w/ Koni's and they provide some adjustability. Or go all out and get revalved Koni's from Ground Control.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

one thing you have to learn when you get a m3 is to search to you find the lowest prices on products, cause the prices you listed can be much lower, so make sure you do your shopping first.

i redid all my header studs and it did cost a decent amount to do so beware.
          Old School

Comment

I prefer the Konis over the Bilsteins. And so far I've only added the rears to a formerly f/r bilisport equipped M3. The rears clearly improve the ride, and can be set for more aggressive driving. I'm talking about the revalved Konis sold by Ground-Control. They are sportier than Koni yellows and are in-the-trunk adjustable and can handle pretty serious springs. They were about 150 apiece. Gotta do the fronts at some point.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
              I prefer the Konis over the Bilsteins. And so far I've only added the rears to a formerly f/r bilisport equipped M3. The rears clearly improve the ride, and can be set for more aggressive driving. I'm talking about the revalved Konis sold by Ground-Control. They are sportier than Koni yellows and are in-the-trunk adjustable and can handle pretty serious springs. They were about 150 apiece. Gotta do the fronts at some point.

Stan
              The problems I've foudn with the Koni's is if you drive at all ont eh track, they start fading from overheating (not an inverted design like Bilstein and others) if you're on the track for more than 20-30 minutes. This applies to very few people.

And yes, I was able to isolate teh effect from differences in tires over this period of time.

Shock fade is evil!

Andrew

Comment

I'll sell you my bilstein sports so I can buy some koni adjustables

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

I have Bilstein HD's because... I don't know why. Should have Sports. Oh well. They work well, although I think I've bottomed them out a couple times.

Comment

you should be able to get a set of standard Koni rebound adjustable shocks in the low $400 range shipped
                    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and tips!

Just ordered 4 new Bilstein sports, rears are $74 a piece, fronts are $104 a piece, will replace them tomorrow. The rest of the parts (gaskets, bolts, etc.. ) should be in tomorrow as well, so the shop will start working on the m3, can't wait to get it done!

Comment

8 dollars a stud?

I just got mine from Maximillian's for under a buck a piece. The thermostat was a little less than 70 and the gaskets, I can't recall...

8 dollars a piece??

Comment

if you're going to pay that much for studs you should get the TCKline trick NASCAR-style bullet nose (won't cross-thread)studs, they're made out of extreme strong 190,000 psi alloy with rolled (not cut)threads made specifically for them by ARP(?), the usual wheel studs available from H&R etc. are cheapo material, these are about $9/each, the best choice for a track car that may need to change wheels quickly during an event

available in 2 sizes, 0 - 8 mm spacer and 0 - 25mm spacer

Last edited by TeamM3; 12-05-2003, 11:12 AM.
                          A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

>>>you should be able to get a set of standard Koni rebound adjustable shocks in the low $400 range shipped<<<

Yeah. Note that the regular Konis rears have the unloved remove-to-adjust characteristic. In trunk adjustability is a nice feature on the GC versions. You can really feel the difference when you tune the car for autocross. Better turn-in for example. Then you can reset it for street driving. When you really stiffen up the rear rebound, low speed turn-in greatly improves...but ya gotta be careful in the higher speed stuff. In autocross, low speed understeer is more of a problem than for the open track stuff. You have to tune the car a bit differently. Stiffer rear springs compared to the usual f/r combos, more front toe-out, etc.

Stan
                            Last edited by Stan; 12-05-2003, 11:37 AM.

Comment

>>>TCKline trick NASCAR-style bullet nose <<<

I saw these on Vodo's E30. They are really nice!

Stan

Comment

Working...
                              X