Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to replace shocks, what brand and where to get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan
    >>>you should be able to get a set of standard Koni rebound adjustable shocks in the low $400 range shipped<<<

Yeah. Note that the regular Konis rears have the unloved remove-to-adjust characteristic. In trunk adjustability is a nice feature on the GC versions.

Stan
    FWIW, you can get that conversion from any authorized Koni Repair/Rebuild Center; KoniNA, TrueChoice, Ground Control,or ProParts.

I actually had one of the first rear shock conversions back in 1996 on my then E36 M3 by TrueChoice, I've dealt specifically with Koni NA for the last six years

A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

>>>FWIW, you can get that conversion from any authorized Koni Repair/Rebuild Center; KoniNA, TrueChoice, Ground Control,or ProParts. <<<

Cool. I imagine that Koni do them for GC too. Note that ya gotta deal with the larger shaft diameter too. The shaft on the modded Koni's won't fit through the stock shock mount - the thing whose two threaded studs sticks into the trunk and to which the damper is attached. GC sells one. In my case I modified my JTD RSMs to suit the roughly 1mm greater shaft diameter.

Stan

Comment

no, they all do their own in-house conversions and generally share information with each other

in the stock class we just drill out the OE RSM (from 10mm to 12mm), a bit tricky because if you overheat the rubber it will debond from the metal mount :sosad: you have to either go slow and cool it down often or have a continuous machinist cooling lube bath systen

funny thing is I've run some really serious valving rates and have never had a modified OE RSM fail despite having a paper-thin center collar, kind of baffles me to hear about the issues owners have with OE type shocks and failed RSM's :dunno:
        Last edited by TeamM3; 12-05-2003, 07:23 PM.
        A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Working...
        X