Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What amount of gain can be expected from machining head to EVO3 specs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amount of gain can be expected from machining head to EVO3 specs ?

Before I spend $ 1000 to do this, I want to make sure it is worth the cost.

First...i dont get when people say Evo 3 specs regarding engine work...and there are many different things that make up an Evo 3 spec...and i doubt you are reffering to all of them...No offense here at all..just making a point in general

Second...Evo 3 is not the best you can do in terms of head work...so unless you have to have "evo 3" everything...then there are other better options for you...

Lets just say you are refering to a "stage 2"ish head job from one of the major s14 guys...

This mod alone...will not give you much power at all...if any...at least nothing really noticeable....

If you add cams...and remove the AFM...then you will start to see the benefits of the increased head flow...

What are your goals with this project? What other mods do you have? whats the car for?

We can help you more with that info

ADA///M

Comment

My specs

I have both the 272 and 264 cams, but I do not have a clue which to use or if I should stick with the 248 exhaust cam. I also have 48mm throttle bodies and the EVO3 AFM but I may not use these, I will use the Group A header, I already have the euro lower airbox, k&n filter, evo3 flywheel,JC chip, and supersprint exhaust with no cat. The goal is to increase the power as much as possible without gutting torque. The engine has 78K miles and is my weekend/track car.

Thanks for the input

Comment

use both the 272/264, the evo afm won't make much of a difference, you need to get an MAF or Alpha-N to really flow.
        don't bother with the header, the stock one makes just as much power. sell it, and if you can get the $1k+ that you most likely paid for it, then that will cover the head work that will make all these mods worthwhile.

HTH.
        Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
        '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
        http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
          use both the 272/264, the evo afm won't make much of a difference, you need to get an MAF or Alpha-N to really flow.
          don't bother with the header, the stock one makes just as much power. sell it, and if you can get the $1k+ that you most likely paid for it, then that will cover the head work that will make all these mods worthwhile.

HTH.
          Sell the cams and get the schrick 284/276 and some cam gears. Sell the AFM and airbox and get the MAXX A-N. Sell the header and get the CF airbox. Use the 48's. Port the head to match the 48mm gaskets. Get bigger injectors. Run the shit out of it till it blows and then all you have to do is bottom end.

These sell/buy deals aren't complete lateral moves but this is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Of course this is exactly what I have so I am a little bias.

If you keep the BMW cams you can only port to thier limit, then you have exceeded thier flow, granted the AFM is gone, and most likely will degrade the combination.

Remember it is all a combination of proven parts that work. It gets expensive to try the trial and error road.

T

Comment

Does dumping the AFM really lead to big power gains? I thought it was more of a driveability improvement. I have seen lots of engines make very good power with the AFM in place.

I am wrestling with this because I am considering getting rid of my AFM, but am concerned about passing smog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
              Does dumping the AFM really lead to big power gains? I thought it was more of a driveability improvement. I have seen lots of engines make very good power with the AFM in place.

I am wrestling with this because I am considering getting rid of my AFM, but am concerned about passing smog.
              Passing smog is an issue of concern. It can be done though.

Yes the AFM removal creates gains all over, IF THE TUNING OF THE AFR's ARE DONE CORRECTLY. This is a FACT.

The next step really has to be done in whole. TB's, head, cams, exhaust. The header seems to still be a black hole in fact or fiction.

T

Comment

Working...
              X