Fubar ride height........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fubar ride height........

My car has never been wrecked (all vins intact), but the right rear is 1/4" lower than the left rear and the right front is 3/4" lower than the left front? I have triple checked everything and nothing is bent/messed up. WTF can it be? I know the battery can skew the right rear, but what about the front? Weak spring? Weak shock?

T

Sounds to me like its been corner balanced.
    -kevin

Comment

Originally posted by sector7g View Post
      Sounds to me like its been corner balanced.
      Doesn't have coilovers.........

T

Comment

this might sound stupid, but it is on level ground? I noticed a similar thing on mine once, moved the car 3 feet forward and it all changed again.

Comment

Yes level ground. You can stand behind the car and see the right front is way down.

I thought about it being that way to make up for when the driver is in the car. But I rechecked with me in the car and the suspension is too stiff. It doesn't move when I get in.........

T
          Last edited by HANDBLT; 05-26-2008, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Heard somebody once say that bmws are setup to take into account the average weight of a driver. meaning that when sitting the left side of the auto will have a higher ride height. However, with driver inside, ride height and 4 corner suspension load is equal.

Now if this is true or not, I don't know.....just something I remember hearing once.
            E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

Correct //Em,

BMW's have come that way from the factory for years to allow the drivers weight even out the weight/load/balance.
              06 325i | 90 535iM | 90 M3

BMWCCA# 358642

Comment

cracked subframe, maybe the spring pads are installed unevenly, aftermarket springs sagging unevenly...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by arakele View Post
                Correct //Em,

BMW's have come that way from the factory for years to allow the drivers weight even out the weight/load/balance.
                Does that mean US spec cars have an even greater offset? :chubs:
                Last edited by M3Driver; 05-26-2008, 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

mine sits high in the rear right, could never figure out why. Been through the whole car since I've owned it and I can't figure it out. I just stopped letting it bother me, even after I bought all new matching spring pads...

Comment

If you wanted to play , you could pull the suspension and measure the free height of the springs and check the thicknesses of the spring pads.

Iirc, if one corner of the car is lower than the other three, it will affect the ride height of the other three corners. In diminishing effects.
                    A short spring on the RF will affect the LF most, then the RR and lastly, the LR negligibly .

I know nowt about Dinan coils, but I reckon they may be sagging.

You could juggle some alternative thickness spring pads to compensate.

m

Comment

Originally posted by arakele View Post
                      Correct //Em,

I'm afraid that's not correct. BMW loads up their 5-seater (and derivatives thereof like the M3) vehicles with 68kg on each front seat and 2x68 kg on the rear seats and 4x7kg in the trunk, full tank of fuel and all fluids topped up and considers this standard ride height at which all nuts and bolts on the front & rear suspension must be tightened to their specified torque.
                      Laden like this the car is considered level.

Due to the fact that both left and rear springs have the same spec (but can differ slightly due to tolerances) but the weights at the different wheels probably are not, the ride heights can be slightly different, especially when unladen/empty
                      Ride height was dialed in using different thicknesses of spring pads. At some point (E36 onwards?) the changed to a single thickness of spring pad but altered the static spring force at normal ride height to make up for different weights due to engine and options fitted. I dont know if they also change the spring stiffness to maintain the same natural frequency.

Comment

A race prep place can definitely help you corner balance the car.
                        Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
                        1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car (Will Convert to M3 Spec soon)
                        1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
                        2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com

Comment

its happened to me as well don fields aligned my car now the car sits right .
                          but these cars have a few suspension parts that like to twist and bend after 20+ years of road and track use its like any body its called fatigue
                          any good race shop will make it right dont sweat it too much

Comment

Originally posted by evo mmm View Post
                            its happened to me as well don fields aligned my car now the car sits right .
                            but these cars have a few suspension parts that like to twist and bend after 20+ years of road and track use its like any body its called fatigue
                            any good race shop will make it right dont sweat it too much
                            Can that explain why my right wheel is closer to the body that my left wheel? My right wheel rub at full lock but not the left.
                            Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                            Born date 01/88
                            Ryan

Comment

Sounds like twisted strut tower, Get the measurements ckecked! Hit any bad bumps lately. I have the means of getting the measurements from a Bodyshop if you needed posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X