stalling problem/no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalling problem/no start

ok the last time i was driving my M3 i had a few times when it would start to slow down
    and no effect if i press gas
    as if the fuel was not reaching the engine
    i got to work
    and cleaned out the TPS, and checked the small plug that plugs into the fuel injector rail.
    got home ok later on
    but now the car won't start
    i tried unhooking the hose that goes out of the FPR and it filled up maybe 1/8th of a large plastic bottle
    so the fuel pump is ok and working fine
    after many attempts to start
    the only 2 times it did start was when i disconnected the hose that goes out of the FPR to check for fuel and reconnected it, the time after that it started
    and today when i disconnected that hose again and put it in a bottle to see if the fuel pump was working or not
    the car started without fuel going into the engine
    so i guess it was just the remaining fuel in the fuel rail.

now my guess is it's not electrical (checked distributor and rotor and spark plugs)
    and its not fuel, since the fuel pump is working and i checked the fuel pump relay.
    and the time it started i think is because due to compression when i try to start
    it was sucking the fuel into the cylinder, and that that fuel injectors were not injecting fuel.
    because the only 2 times it started is when i had disconnected the FPR i.e no fuel going into engine.
    the plug that goes into the fuel rail (near the FPR) has one bent pin
    i think its still making contact, but i am not sure.
    could that lead to the fuel injectors not working?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

here is the plug i think is the reason behind my no start issue
    is this the connecter that powers and controls the injectors?
    Last edited by kmarei; 05-28-2008, 04:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That is the connection for your Throttle Position Sensor.
    - Dave

1988 "ALPNWEIB"

sigpic

1986 944 Turbo
    2003 Audi S6
    2007 Touareg V8

Comment

Sorry, but you are both wrong. It goes to the idle control valve.

Comment

if one of the pins in the plug was not making contact, would the car not start?

Comment

oh good grief....thanks ironhead...sorry...after three weeks of dicking around they've all blended together.
          - Dave

1988 "ALPNWEIB"

sigpic

1986 944 Turbo
          2003 Audi S6
          2007 Touareg V8

Comment

Originally posted by kmarei View Post
            if one of the pins in the plug was not making contact, would the car not start?
            Pin 2 provides 12 volts. Pins 1 and 3 can be grounded by the DME to open or close the Idle Control Valve (I don't remember which one is which).

If pin 2 is not connected then the valve should just float in whatever position it was in last. If the opening pin is not connected then the valve will likely be closed all the time so perhaps you wouldn't get enough air to sustain the car running (??). If the closing pin is not connected then the valve would stay open all the time so I think the car would probably run, but the idle would be very high.

So in summary, it seems to me that it might be possible that a disconnected pin could prevent the car from starting, but I kind of doubt it. In the case that the ICV is closed all the time you could do 2 things to make sure some air is getting into the combustion chambers: 1) push down the gas pedal to open the throttle a little bit while trying to start the car or 2) open the idle speed screw all the way (screw it counterclockwise).

I have no idea how much air the engine needs to start running, so it may be that the ICV connector could not possibly prevent the car from starting, but if it could it seems like it would have to be due to the valve staying closed all the time...

Good luck!
            Dominic

Comment

Check the grounds or the brushes on starter motor
              Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
              1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car (Will Convert to M3 Spec soon)
              1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
              2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com

Comment

starter works fine
                it cranks the engine without fail
                it just won't start
                i usually crank for about 3 or 4 seconds
                spark is ok
                and fuel is present in the fuel rail
                have to take out injectors and see if they are squirting or not

Comment

I am having the same problems now.. My mechanic will be checking it soon.. I will share whatever information I get...

Fritz
                  Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

Are you sure your getting spark, the coil may be good but this doesn't mean its getting the call from the ECU.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And are you getting fuel vapors from the exhaust during cranking?
                    Last edited by Az in Oz; 05-28-2008, 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"But most of all...
                    ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

the exhaust smells like gas yes
                      and i know i am getting spark or it would not have started those 2 times
                      it's something in the air/vacum side
                      because when i disconected the hose that goes out from the FPR and put it in a bottle to see if the fuel pump was working
                      the car strarted fine, and fuel was pouring out (so not a problem with fuel)
                      next thing will take out the injectors and see if they are squirting
                      and maybe try to open up the ICV connecter to fix the bent pin or jump it with a wire to make sure its connected and try to start.

Comment

Kmarei I got my car working.. I changed the plugs (apparently the engine was flooded and fouled up the plugs) and I also changed the blue and brown coolant sensors.. Car starts and runs well now... No stalling or hesitation.
                        Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

changed plugs, no go
                          measured the temp sensor (the one linked to the engine management not the one that feeds the gauge)
                          measured coil
                          measured ICv
                          all correct

only time it started it when i disconnected the hose that goes from the FPR back to the tank and out it in a bottle
                          it started
                          but i cant keep it started. cuz once the bottle fills up, i have to stop
                          when i pulled the old plugs out they were wet with fuel
                          what would cause it to flood if i am not touching the gas pedal when i start?
                          also charged battery, and its at 12.8V now

Comment

Possibly a bad FPR, or maybe a restriction in the return line back to the tank. Is it possible to disconnect the return line near the tank (at the sender) and check the flow there.

Comment

is that the line to the right of the one going from fuel filter to engine?
                              i could just unhook that hose thats attached to the hard return line and try to attach another hose in a plastic tank and see if fuel is coming back?

Comment

Working...
                              X