535i/635i brakes on e30 m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marques View Post
    I also don't follow the logic of this "upgrade". You end up with more forward bias, but the rotors stay the same. So the end result is the car slows down more for any given line pressure, but the pedal will be softer, the front brakes will run hotter, the stopping distances will be longer, trail braking into the corner may suffer, etc, etc. I can't think of any positive for this setup with larger front caliper pistons.

-Luis
    you need to run a 300x28mm disk with this caliper. I do not suffer from too much forward bias and the 28mm thick disk tolerates a lot more heat than the M3 disk. I am not saying this is the ultimate upgrade, but it's very cost effective and you can use all M3 rims.

Caliper bracket needs some minor milling and disk needs centre bore enlarged and PCD enlarged. Disk id from Merc 500E or SL129 320 V6, can provide a drawing, but it's really no rocket sience. I have saved a front wheel hub and take that to the machine shop when machining new disks.

But I have also driven Jakes car and can confirm that his setup was very very good.
    But it comes at a price, I can run stock pads even on track. I set of proper race pads will cost 5 times that, if that's worth to you fair enough. I am happy with a slightly uprated road pad. the bog standard road pads do wear quite fast, that's a bit of a downside. 25-30 Laps on the Nuerburgring on a set of E32 road pads. And if you think I am poodling around have a look at Jakes Ring videos.

picture from first trial fitting

the red arrow shows the part that needs milling away (already done on the picture)

the caliper doesn't sit 100% center to the disk, you would need to mill IN the bracket to achieve this. I wasn't keen to do so, it's only 0.5mm out and the sliding caliper will easy align for this
    Last edited by UweM3; 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I see... but this 300mm setup is comparing apples to oranges with the stock brake discs. The initial question was just about using 57mm pistons in place of the stock 54mm.

-Luis

Comment

Originally posted by marques View Post
        I see... but this 300mm setup is comparing apples to oranges with the stock brake discs. The initial question was just about using 57mm pistons in place of the stock 54mm.

-Luis
        topic title reads BRAKES so I was under the impression the whole setup was used.
        Agree, only caliper won't make much sense.
        BTW a set of these Merc disks is only 70 (Brembo's!!)

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
        X