SS brake line routining questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS brake line routining questions

Soon I will be getting ready to install my new StopTech SS brake lines and I have a question about proper routing of the lines in the front. The lines are longer than stock and it's my understanding that when the wheels travel side to side and up/down there should no lateral strain on the ends of the lines. So since they are longer the only way I can see to do this is to loop the line around either a)the strut housing or b)the sway bar link. Otherwise the lines with either rub against the tire or have unwanted strain on them or eventually break at the ends.

Anyone have an advise for me? BTW the lines also seem to have a rubber ring on them with some small green zip-ties as if they are in fact intended to be attached to some part of the suspension. The rubber ring around the line is loose, so if the ring itself is tied to something the line can still freely move through it.

Thanks

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Hi Noro

That's not a StopTech line or kit, but the picture shall explain the "accordeon" shape the line should have. e30 brake lines are usually 13"-14", how long are yours? If they are 19", then they are e36-e46 brake lines.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

Oh yeah mine are much longer. But the ST part #s suggest that it's for this car (maybe it's also for E36s). Also the end that hooks up to the caliper is a ring not a vertical bolt so the line will come out to the side not vertically up from the calipers.

Thanks again

p.s. kick ass brakes you have though!
      Last edited by noro; 06-05-2008, 02:23 AM.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Sounds like the caliper end is a "banjo" fitting, which indicates the brake lines aren't the right parts for your car.
        I think you may want to look into getting the right parts before you spend the time messing with the wrong ones.

NASA GTS5 #945
        NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

Comment

Funny - just bought a set and planned on installing them tomorrow :rolleyes:

The part #'s:

Don't have them here right now, but I thought I remmbered banjo fittings :shit:
          '88 M3 2.3 Henna (Sold)
          '00 A4 2.8 Avant
          '06 Evo 2.0 IX RS

Comment

Is there chance that they are correct even thought the fitting doesn't resemble factory? Afterall E46/E36 don't have the banjo fittings either.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

I don't see how you're going to get a banjo onto a stock caliper.
              I looked at their website and saw a photo of the lines and the photo looks very generic, like its the same press photo they use for all of their kits.
              I'd say give them a call, they posted a help line number: (800)222-8893

NASA GTS5 #945
              NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                Is there chance that they are correct even thought the fitting doesn't resemble factory? Afterall E46/E36 don't have the banjo fittings either.
                What part #'s are on the packages??
                '88 M3 2.3 Henna (Sold)
                '00 A4 2.8 Avant
                '06 Evo 2.0 IX RS

Comment

Originally posted by meanmud View Post
                  What part #'s are on the packages??
                  Bought them last year, during a garage cleanup had to repackage them and now don't have the original package with #s. The #s you have do look familiar though. Tonight I will take some pics and post them, maybe you can post yours as well.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Hey Noro. Grab your cell phone and make a picture of what you have. We'll be better equipped to help. A BMW brake line would be female 10mm x 1 (inner fender) to male 10mm x 1 (caliper side). StopTech's calipers use banjo bolts/fittings. A no fit for stock calipers.

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

For what it's worth, my e46 M3 has banjo fittings where the solid line attaches to the stainless steel line. On the caliper side it just screws in.

Comment

I'm about 100% certain you do not have the appropriate lines from Stoptech (The part #'s I listed) - I just can't see Stoptech having that wrong:gotcha:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just checked - no banjo fittings here :yup:

My part #'s appear to be correct.
                        Last edited by meanmud; 06-05-2008, 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        '88 M3 2.3 Henna (Sold)
                        '00 A4 2.8 Avant
                        '06 Evo 2.0 IX RS

Comment

Originally posted by meanmud View Post
                          I'm about 100% certain you do not have the appropriate lines from Stoptech (The part #'s I listed) - I just can't see Stoptech having that wrong:gotcha:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just checked - no banjo fittings here :yup:

My part #'s appear to be correct.
                          Not on rears either? ... Well glad I asked!

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                            Not on rears either? ... Well glad I asked!
                            Nope!
                            '88 M3 2.3 Henna (Sold)
                            '00 A4 2.8 Avant
                            '06 Evo 2.0 IX RS

Comment

Hi all.. I checked the part #s on my lines just now. My rears are actually correct. They in fact have the male and female ends. But the my fronts show part # 950.34007 which is way off. I just emailed the place I purchased the lines from in an effort to exchange it for the right part #.

Thanks all and I am SO glad I asked this question, cause it should have been one less M3 on the road if I didn't... I'll keep you posted after the install.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Working...
                              X