Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front grill - spraying black ?

Hey guys

I've had a search around and have found little information on the matter of spraying the front grill black.

Problem: My front grill is all old, weathered and grey looking...

Solution: either I buy a new set of front grills or I attempt to "restore" my current grills by taking them off and re-spraying..?

has anyone done this before ? can anyone recommend a way of doing it so it looks like the OEM black.. and original.. i.e. what paint to use ? (i don't want a glossy look, i want the original matt style look)..

thanks a lot guys - you've helped me out many a times.

A can of satin black paint. Rub it down with a bit of 1200 wet'n'dry and clean off with alcohol and paint away..... easier than piss I did mine and they came up great.

Aaron

"But most of all...
    ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

find sem paint

Find sem paint in your area. made for this. has flex additive and made for bumpers in many colors. chucker
      89 m3 "Ms. Bavaria"..... Cinnabar w/ Black Guts, Evo 2 cam, Miller War Chip, CF Intake, What's a cat?
      12 Avalanche "OJ" ..... Black on Black, Loaded, and Runs
      08 335i "Vanessa" ..... Black with Buckskin guts
      08 Jetta 2.0 Turbo "Joan Jetta"..... Red with Tan Guts

Comment

I think it is called SEM Trim Black? Correct me if I am wrong as I will have to do this on a couple of parts in the near future.

Mike

Comment

Yep, just find trim paint. Sand down, clean, primer, few layers of the paint, and you're set to go. While you are at it, you might as well both the headlight grills to make them look uniform.

The primer and several coats of the trim paint are very important. It will allow for a good bond and better strength against rock chips. The last thing you need is a thin coat that will chip easily.

Comment

could i use this SEM stuff on the black door trim as well ?

thanks a lot guys..

Comment

Originally posted by intense_jono View Post
              could i use this SEM stuff on the black door trim as well ?

thanks a lot guys..
              yes. pretty much on all the exterior plastic.
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '03 540i/6 M-Sport
              '00 F-350 Dually
              BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
              My Track Schedule

Comment

Working...
              X