Suspension? Front Wheels? weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension? Front Wheels? weird

I remember reading a thread not too long ago where a member was questioning why his front wheels sit back further than other M3's. Of course I can't find the thread, I was looking at my wheels today and they sit closer to the back of the fender arch. I think the previous owner may have installed different control arms? Would that cause the wheels to sit like that? Bottom line is that I want to have them at the original stock position so I can slamm the F out of my car soon. :cool:
    Last edited by OOMPH!; 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM.

I thought that they were built like that, I know mine are the same, but I think if you use E36 M3 control arms it fixes this problem.. But I'm interested in the experts opinion on this on
    88 M3
    91 M5
    90 325is

Comment

That is normal. The offset CA bushings push the wheels forward a tiny bit, but all except the earliest US M3's had those from the factory.
      John
      88 ///M3 Cinnabar
      84 318i Black
      sigpic

Comment

the wheel DOESN'T sit in the centre of the wheel arch. It sits slightly back even with the off set bushes. If you move the wheel more forward you may get some tyre rubbing on full lock depending on wheel/tyre sizes you are running.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31338

I found the thread I was looking for! It seems like Clubber had the same concern.

If this is normal for our M3's is there any purpose of the wheel not being centered?:lostme:

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH! View Post
            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31338

I found the thread I was looking for! It seems like Clubber had the same concern.

If this is normal for our M3's is there any purpose of the wheel not being centered?:lostme:
            centred to what? The cutout in the fender? that will not be relevant. Your wheels need to be true to each other, not the fender cut out. I can imagine the unequal fender arch was in hindsight of running racing tyres in DTM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
              centred to what? The cutout in the fender? that will not be relevant. Your wheels need to be true to each other, not the fender cut out. I can imagine the unequal fender arch was in hindsight of running racing tyres in DTM.
              Yes centered to the cutout of the fender arch. I understand the wheels have to be true to each other.

I received an email from the previous owner saying..........
              "They are stock I think. The M3 has offset bushings to give it more caster. It is suppose to be like that, it helps handling."

Hmmmmmmmmm? What do I do from here?

Comment

This is normal and how it should be. The wheel swings through an arc, it doesn't pivot around the center of the contact patch. To accomodate the swing (due to caster/camber) the cutout is offset. This geometry has worked for years...

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                  I agree that this is not a problem though it may look strange. I dont think it has anything to do with the DTM wheel/tire setup as DTM cars have different fenders than the stock or EVO parts.

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20166

Nikos' fix (IIRC) was a new passenger control arm (it was bent).

Comment

mine is off because my offset bushings aren't clocked right. you can check that. it is supposed to be 9 oclock driver, 3 oclock passenger.
                      06 325i | 90 535iM | 90 M3

BMWCCA# 358642

Comment

Working...
                      X