2.5 Rebuild! I have a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 Rebuild! I have a few questions.

I have my block, main bearings, main caps, and 2.5 crank already assembled and on a stand just waiting for the rest. Is there one specific place you would get the rest of the parts needed? I have talked to VAC Motorsports and Turner. We all know both are great companies to deal with but, which one is the best with the S14, or is there one even better? Just picking your minds guys. Like I said in another thread I'll start in November after our last DE.[peace]
    "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Hey Steve,

When I was building my motor, I found Vac to have better customer service out of the two from my experiences with the two co. mentioned.

elefantsupply.com

Comment

Surprisingly Turner doesn't work on many S14's at all anymore. "Too finicky," said the head tech last time i was there.

Tony at VAC is a real pro on the S14 and realizes what enthusiast engine builders go through when try to sort out a proper rebuild. They overnight parts, have a ton of fun stuff in stock, and they give it out at reasonable prices.

The last thing i had to do on my rebuild was a valve adjustment. I HAD to get it started by the end of the week. I called turner and asked for shims, i was told they would only do the service for a few hrs of labor. Then it needed it again after a very short break in period. So around $600 and no spare shims.

I called VAC and they overnighted me over 30 shims from their technicians kit same day. They had every one i needed and more to spare and were willing to sell them to me no problem.

I live 40 minutes from Turner and 1.5 hrs from VSR and I still call VAC.

Fantastic guys.

Turner and VSR have their place and do certain things very well.

-Paddy

Comment

To be honest with Don @ McAdams Autosport, can do most if not all.
        Outstanding customer service, Try him out.
        -Tony-
        1991 M3 10Km
        1989 M3
        BEGINS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by wld_tony View Post
          To be honest with Don @ McAdams Autosport, can do most if not all.
          Outstanding customer service, Try him out.

+1 on that front :OMG:

"But most of all...
          ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

I am definately not stuck on either of them. If there is someone out the better at around the same cost then I would go that way.
            "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Comment

I personally used VAC when I rebuilt my motor. I spoke with Turner, Apex, Mr M car, VSR when choosing how to proceed. Tony was willing to talk thru what I wanted, customized what we did with the head work to fit my needs and was able to keep to the schedule well. All machine work is inhouse and VAC uses the CP pistons and mls head gaskets which I believe are better suited to our motors. If you purchase all components together, you should also be able to request a discount on the total bill. That always helps. 8k miles on my motor and I love it
              Good luck with your build, it is good fun. Pics in my gallery from my build.
              Cheers,
              John
              Last edited by JEDM3; 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM.
              88M3 henna

73T100C
              97 540\6-Gone
              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Steve, since you are in Texas, talk to the DFW boys, I know they have some guys down there that work with the S14.

Mike

Comment

naah... no one down here has ever built a motor...
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

I like Vac.

What I really like, is that Tony will actually take the time whenever he possibly can to discuss things related to the S14. Even if a sale is not likely. A lot of businesses are willing to talk, but most of them don't know shit. Tony does know what he is talking about..... I hope that Vac never gets so busy that Tony loses the time or willingness to communicate.

Vac's prices may not always be the greatest, but neither are Turner's. And try finding someone at TMS who will talk to you and knows anything more than how to make a sale.

I agree that Turner is slowly getting out of the S14 business. Everytime I look at their site it seems like there are fewer S14 products.

Comment

The cool thing about Don McAdams is the prices. I dunno how he does it, but he offers member's deep discounts off dealer list prices. He can't make much at all on each sale.

The problem is the service. I had a large custom order that had to be changed and modified as time frames and prices were confirmed. Communication was poor. Email is the only way to get a hold of him - expect one message back and forth each day. He lists a phone number, but never answers it or returns a call. I tried to communicate a sense of urgency and he didn't want to hear it. I felt he had very little respect for my timeframe needs. BUT, in the end of the day he saved me about $1300 on one order.

Comment

^ Interesting, I've not had any problems getting a hold of Don via phone or email. He seemed to be very responsive when I've had dealings with him. Things can take longer than expected, but he's always kept me up on progress. Maybe you caught him at a busy time.
                        Terrance

Comment

HaHaHa the Dallas guys are the ones that are going to help me with my build. I think most of them have used VAC.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddyMcP View Post
                            The cool thing about Don McAdams is the prices. I dunno how he does it, but he offers member's deep discounts off dealer list prices. He can't make much at all on each sale.

The problem is the service. I had a large custom order that had to be changed and modified as time frames and prices were confirmed. Communication was poor. Email is the only way to get a hold of him - expect one message back and forth each day. He lists a phone number, but never answers it or returns a call. I tried to communicate a sense of urgency and he didn't want to hear it. I felt he had very little respect for my timeframe needs. BUT, in the end of the day he saved me about $1300 on one order.
                            I have bought a lot of things from Don....and he is the MAN! I have never had a problem....

But I think he only sells OEM BMW stuff, not aftermarket parts.....

Comment

+1 for Don.

Comment

Working...
                              X