Big Brake Kit Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brake Kit Suggestions

I've done a bit of searching and looking around, and I'm undecided as to just what to do for a brake upgrade. My first choice is Lee Vuong's "Massive Brakes" kits, but I'm not yet getting any response from Lee, so I have have to develop an alternate choice.

I see Ireland Engineering has F&R kits that are put together around PBR calipers. I don't know much about those, but I suspect they aren't in the same category as the Brembos and Wilwoods.

Any educated suggestions, useful blurbs, or comments would be most appreciated.
    2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
    1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
    1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

What wheels/tires are you running?
    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

18X8 F and 18X9 R, both spaced to give ET15-20

Comment

Although I designed and built my own Wilwood based brake kit somewhat pre-dating Lee's kits,,, I really believe Willwood is the most misunderstood, underated product in the brake world.

If you are not ready to spend alot more on Performance Friction, Alcon or AP (and I'm not sure you need to if you are not making a living at racing),,, I dont think you can do better than Wilwood.
        I use "everything" Wilwood, their calipers, rotors, fluid, pads.
        Very satisfied customer.

Stay away from those PBR sliders.
        Before I went with those I would just stay stock.
        Your really not going to gain much with the PBRs.
        They are an Australian built 2 piston sliding caliper that the big US mfgs used on Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes.

I looked at making a setup for myself out of those years ago,, before Ireland started selling them.
        I think I figured the swept area of the brake pad at a pretty small increase over our M3 stockers.

I found our stock brakes to be great, the only reasons I finally threw in the towel was maintenance and consumables costs.
        By going with Wilwoods, my consumable costs actually went down, in actual cost and consumption. My brakes will likely recoup in a few years.

I am pretty sure Massive is not Lee's main gig, so I'd bet life is just interfering.
        Keep trying him.
        I think he's got the best value / performance going out there in brakes for our cars.

HTH
        jimmy p
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

You could do AP, might be a little more custom, and certainly expensive:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15780

and

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14661
          Last edited by Brendan; 07-23-2008, 02:12 AM.
          sigpic
          Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
            I am pretty sure Massive is not Lee's main gig, so I'd bet life is just interfering.
            Keep trying him.
            I think he's got the best value / performance going out there in brakes for our cars

Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely stay away from the Ireland setup. I don't care to spend like that, only to end up with something only marginally better than what I already have.

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
            You could do AP, might be a little more custom, and certainly expensive:
            $2500 for having to partially engineer a front setup is an impracticality for me. I do appreciate that info however, as it is interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
              $2500 for having to partially engineer a front setup is an impracticality for me. I do appreciate that info however, as it is interesting to read.
              Agreed, and FWIW, I'll be looking at Lee's kits if/when I upgrade my brakes.

- Brendan
              sigpic
              Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

I have Lee's Rally kit with the 300mm rotors. I've been happy with it. You're probably looking to get the 332mm kit, but let me know if you ave any questions about mine.

Comment

Wilwood BBK

Hey,

I definitely don't want to step on Lee's livelihood but if you can't find him, I can make your hats and brackets. I just finished putting 313mm Performance Friction rotors under stock 16" basketweaves. Yes with Wilwood SL6 calipers. Stops like crazy.... I'm very, very happy with the results.

Anyway, calipers and rotors came off ebay from NASCAR teams and then I made the rest in my shop. It came out to $800 for ebay parts, $180 for aluminum, $80 for custom Earl's brake lines and then just time to machine.

Look up Lee first but if you can't find him.....

Comment

Sounds good, and I really appreciate that offer. If Lee doesn't get back with me by the weekend, I will be ringing your bell.

I'm interested in upgrading the rears too . . .

Comment

Hey Ted, here is a thread on what I did for the rears.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=rear+brakes

I gotta tell you, the AP stuff is getting completely out of control price wise. I checked on replacement disc costs today, and the replacements for my front discs are $540 each. That is no hardware, brackets, calipers, nothing. Just discs. Add in calipers and you will be well over $2K for one end without even having hats, bolts, hoses, brackets...or anything else. I am sure a lot of this is the falling dollar, but holy crap......

Using the machined down stock rear disc for a hat has worked very well though. Thought that was something you might want to consider. Costs are certainly far less than machining the entire hat from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Morris View Post
                        I just finished putting 313mm Performance Friction rotors under stock 16" basketweaves. Yes with Wilwood SL6 calipers.
                        You fit SL6's under basketweaves? Are you a magician? ..no seriously, I don't see how they could fit. Are you running large wheel spacers? If not, how did you get the backspacing of the discs to work out without hitting the control arm knuckle?

Comment

Yup a magician!

Quote:
                          You fit SL6's under basketweaves? Are you a magician? ..no seriously, I don't see how they could fit. Are you running large wheel spacers? If not, how did you get the backspacing of the discs to work out without hitting the control arm knuckle?

I can tell that you have tried to figure this out!

I'm about a 0.100" from the steering knuckle with the rotor and you guessed it, had to space the wheel out 1/2" since the inside of a BBS wheel isn't very BBK friendly. I incorporated the wheel spacer onto the brake hat as one piece so I didn't stack up any tolerances. I think I made it lighter because of that fact also.

Prior to the BBK I was running 8.5" wheels and thus when I went back to stock 16" x 7.5" and incorporated the extra 1/2" spacer, the wheel face was at the same location. I like the wheels farther out on the fender anyway. Definately still under the fenders but wider stance nonetheless.

Just to give you an idea of how tight it is, my calipers wiped the stickon balancing weights off the inside of the wheel. They are only 0.100" thick at best. Of course I didn't have to use 12.375" rotors but I like Performance Friction and that's what was on E-bay.

Cheers,

Comment

Is the willwood setup a direct fit or a little custom work is required ? If a direct fit, where can I get one ? Their website does not carry any e30 kit !
                            Can,

'87 E30 M3 (Henna Restoration)
                            '00 E36/8 Z3 M Coupé Turbo
                            '11 E90 320d M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by CLUBBER View Post
                              Is the willwood setup a direct fit or a little custom work is required ? If a direct fit, where can I get one ? Their website does not carry any e30 kit !
                              Any Wilwood kit would be a custom BBK. However, if you buy a Wilwood "kit" it will be a direct bolt up application. Take your rotors, calipers and brake lines off and replace with the kit.

Hope that made sense,

Comment

Working...
                              X