Revert to stock chip - no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revert to stock chip - no start

I went back to the stock chip and she won't start. Just keeps on turning. I seem to remember when I changed chips in my 325is back in the day, it had some running trouble for 20 minutes or so until it smoothed out and drove like a champ. It had hard starting too.

The chip was seated all the way, the ecu was connected and reconnected, etc. Seems like everything was square.

When you guys switch chips, how long does it take to get it started?

My chip # is 1267355785 fyi.

Not sure if I've missed something...

Edit-PS, after some searching, I found that there is a difference between some ECU's. 16 bit and 32 bit. The chip I have came from a 1/88 and the car it's going into is a 1/88. Via search, it seems my chip is 32 bit and it seems like my ECU may be 16 bit. What does this mean and does it matter?
    Last edited by ShiftBMW; 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM.

The ECU is plugged all the way back in? Nothing else is left unplugged?

I would repeat the process.

- gabor
    October 1987 build date.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdriver View Post
      The ECU is plugged all the way back in? Nothing else is left unplugged?

I would repeat the process.

- gabor
      I did twice. I popped the other chip back in, fired up in half a second...to me this says either the chip is fried or incompatible.

Comment

That isn't the original chip from the DME? How was the chip stored?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
          That isn't the original chip from the DME? How was the chip stored?

No, the chip i used was from a past M3 I once had. I swapped in another 2.3L chip and it worked fine. Thew chip in question was stored in a typical chip case or whatever...however they are shipped from turner.

Comment

Did you make sure to remove the battery prior to changing the chip?

Comment

Check the chip itself, i know when i changed chips on my vw's i once pulled it out kinda at a angle and the little pins bent so when i went to put it in again it did not sit properly, check that.
              ///M Power
              "Dream as if you live forever,Live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Instagram- S14Pwr

Comment

IIRC it has someting to do with 128k chips and 256k chips. Not 16 and 32 bits.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by 88MPOWER View Post
                  Did you make sure to remove the battery prior to changing the chip?

I didn't realize I needed to...I disconnected the ECU and brought it inside. I've never done that in the past and haven't had a problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                  IIRC it has someting to do with 128k chips and 256k chips. Not 16 and 32 bits.

I think bit may have been the wrong word. Now that I think about it, I saw 16k and 32k, not bit. I don't know what those numbers mean though. I think this incompatibility was the cause though.
                  Last edited by ShiftBMW; 07-27-2008, 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

is it in backwards (it rotated 180 degrees)
                    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
                    X