Tire shredded at track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire shredded at track

This happened at the track last weekend. Can anyone explain it? I have no idea why except it may have been a bad tire.
    Last edited by whayes; 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM.
    Webb
    1988 Diamantschwarz
    2004 Jet Black

Hard to tell from here, but it looks like the inside of the tire is more worn. Are you lowered or running more negative camber than normal that could have caused uneven tire wear? Possible the tire was starting to cord and you missed it?

I guess you also could have hit something without knowing it, and that started it...
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-28-2008, 08:43 AM.
    sigpic
    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

The tire seems to have plenty of rubber left. Even if it was down to the cords, it should not blow up like this.

Did you check the pressures before the session? I've had a similar blowout on the street which I think was due to a slow leak. Not noticing the lower pressure, combined with 3 degrees of camber, and highway speeds = Boom!

-Luis

Comment

WOW. looks like some of those tires at the Brickyard this past weekend
        Mark Williams
        Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Spoke to a Toyo dealer here in DC area and he said most likely the tire was punctured during the session and was torn up like that as a result. Pressure started at 33.
          Webb
          1988 Diamantschwarz
          2004 Jet Black

Comment

Guys... check out this video... http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
            Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

Looks like it was under inflated, which caused it to overheat and delaminate. See the crease in the sidewall.

Comment

The crease is b/c I had to drive 2/3 of a lap on the flat to get back to the paddock
                Webb
                1988 Diamantschwarz
                2004 Jet Black

Comment

If the track had concrete patches in the corners, I would speculate that the seams of the concrete/tarmac, were to blame, especially if this tyre was doing a lot of work.

W/O trying to start any negativity, I'll just add that a Toyo R888 delaminated/shredded at Blackhawk Farms raceway yesterday. It is believed that a newly laid concrete patch was probably responsible. hence my question.

I used Toyo RA1 on a similar car yesterday w/o issues.

m

Comment

Working...
                  X