Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Another drivetrain noise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another drivetrain noise thread

I've used the search function but have not found what I'm looking for yet. My drivetrain has a vibration and a low pitch hum at about 45 and up mph. It is not engine related, I can put the clutch in and the noise and vibration stay the same. It does change with road speed, going away below 40. I've had the driveshaft out and the center bearing seems OK, no play. It doesn't change when you get on the gas or get off it so I've ruled out the rear diff. Any suggestions?
    Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Tyres

m

Comment

I have brand new Bridgestone Re90s on the rear. The fronts will be replaced shortly but I don't see how the front tires would affect the drivetrain. Any other thoughts?
      Several E30 M3's.

Comment

i changed the beam bushes to poly on mine and the noise was/is unbelievable - tyres are very promenant at 40 ish upwards..
        have you tried swapping front to rear?

Comment

No, I'm ordering a new set for the front and I'll check it then. It's not just noise but vibration also.
          Several E30 M3's.

Comment

wheel bearing?

does it go away if you turn the wheel slightly to one side or the other?

I would change the title to NOT another drivetrain noise thread:hee:

since it seems not to be that.
            Last edited by ADA///M; 10-03-2008, 07:36 AM.

Comment

No, it doesn't go away when turning and I've checked the wheel bearings. It could still be the driveshaft, either a u-joint or the guibo. I've got a new guibo for it and may have the driveshaft rebuilt. So, until I know for sure what's causing it, I'll leave the title alone for now.
              Several E30 M3's.

Comment

Have you checked alignment of propshaft, Bentley book shows it should be dead straight from guibo to the rear, has the gearbox been out recently as the adjustment involves moving the crossmember. had a vibration from mine but the place i took it to to repair the engine "borrowed" one of the six nut and bolts on the guibo

Comment

Well, I found one problem, probably not the only one. The LF wheel bearing is shot but doesn't have any play. It's really rough though and you can hear the bearings grinding away. I would have expected a lot more play. So, new bearing is on the way, I still don't think it will stop there. I'm also having clutch problems so I'll have to replace that in the near future.
                  Several E30 M3's.

Comment

on my 325i i had some strange rough yet subtle drivetrain noise a month or so ago. I put up with it for a while but finally couldn't take it anymore. The noise I heard was a low pitch rumbling that would also send vibrations through the car. I have low profile tires so I was used to the usual road noise but there was extra noise and vibration I wasn't used to. It turned out to be a tireddrive shaft/u joint. Just had a rebuilt shaft put in and everything is back to normal
                    "Hearing the metallic clatter of the valves, the wind, tire and road noise....the endless stream of morse code that comes through the seat bottom and steering wheel. It's amazing."--:OMG:S14addict:OMG:

Comment

Originally posted by M3clutch View Post
                      on my 325i i had some strange rough yet subtle drivetrain noise a month or so ago. I put up with it for a while but finally couldn't take it anymore. The noise I heard was a low pitch rumbling that would also send vibrations through the car. I have low profile tires so I was used to the usual road noise but there was extra noise and vibration I wasn't used to. It turned out to be a tireddrive shaft/u joint. Just had a rebuilt shaft put in and everything is back to normal
                      Yes, I'm also concerned this may be another problem. I'm hoping not but it may come down to getting a rebuilt D/S.
                      Several E30 M3's.

Comment

Thought I should update this so others in the future will know what was causing my noise/vibration. The left front wheel bearing was shot but didn't have any play in the wheel. Looks like the bearing retainer disintegrated. Not a cheap item either.
                        Several E30 M3's.

Comment

Working...
                        X