Euro dogleg tranny rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro dogleg tranny rebuilt

I got my hands on two euro dogleg getrag gearboxes and want to have them rebuilt or gone through at least by someone who knows what they are doing. So I though I might ask here what's the general consensus on who's the best for the job. Thinking Jim Blanton, Don Fields, Jim Rowe, Korman etc. Thanks.

I would say Blanton is most knowledgeable, but probably not the cheapest.

Comment

ironhead,

I just wanted to know what rims with what offset are installed in the pic of your e30M3? Did you install hubcentric spacers...if so what width?

Comment

Originally posted by 2pur2ride View Post
        I got my hands on two euro dogleg getrag gearboxes and want to have them rebuilt or gone through at least by someone who knows what they are doing. So I though I might ask here what's the general consensus on who's the best for the job. Thinking Jim Blanton, Don Fields, Jim Rowe, Korman etc. Thanks.
        I did a TON of research on this, less than a year ago.

I had a Euro dogleg tranny lined up that was in need of a rebuild, so I started looking around to see who could do the job.

The going rate on rebuilds about 6 months to a year ago was $2,000 to $3,000. That's a full rebuild, with new bearings and synchros and so on (more stuff than I know how to explain).

Apparently this is a steep pricetag compared to what the guys in Europe are paying. But then, you don't live in Europe...

Jim Blanton reportedly does excellent work - but he has only one level of rebuild: TOTAL. With a price to match.

There is a lot of info on these rebuilds on this forum, so do some Search'ing.

One thing I found almost universally is that no one is really willing to give you a semi-firm quote without seeing the tranny in person and physically opening it up to get an idea of the condition --- because there could be any number of things right or wrong with your tranny internally. If you push for a quote, you'll get a worst-case quote of $3,000 or more.

So instead, I just bought a newly-rebuilt zero-miles-since-the-rebuild tranny from a very reputable seller / builder.

PM me if you want more detail --- I can tell you all the places that I contacted, and so on.
        Last edited by Low Level; 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM.
        -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Metric Mechanic does the ECE boxes also

Originally posted by drinaldis
          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Have you thought about tackling this yourself? The nice thing about gearboxes is they pretty much only fit back together one way.

For that price you could purchase the parts and tools required to build one. You can get the bearings from any bearing supply. The syncro's, gaskets, etc. should be available via aftermarket parts houses.

The Haynes Volvo 260 manual does decent job rebuilding the Volvo M51 (read Getrag 262 CR).

David
            Last edited by itb242; 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM. Reason: reworded
            1988 Zinneberot M3
            1999 Estoril Blue M3
            Volvo 242 project cars

Comment

Originally posted by itb242 View Post
              The Haynes Volvo 260 manual does decent job rebuilding the Volvo M51 (read Getrag 262 CR).

David

Really??

Every Haynes manual that I have ever seen goes something like this:

TO REBUILD TRANSMISSION:

1. Remove transmission
              2. Disassemble transmission
              3. Reassemble transmission
              4. Reinstall transmission

I have never liked Haynes manuals for this reason.
              -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

It's not nearly as detailed as the BMW Factory Manual and would work. I have both if anyone needs copies.

The BMW Factory Manual I have is for the 265 gearbox. I don't think the tear-down reassembly is THAT different from the 262 CR.

David
                1988 Zinneberot M3
                1999 Estoril Blue M3
                Volvo 242 project cars

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. $3k for a rebuild is just nuts. I can get a new rebuilt one from BMW for $3200 and my dealer will take the stock US box as the core charge. I spoke with several guys including the very knowledgeable Jim Rowe from MM and I don't think they need to be rebuilt anyway as they shift perfectly on the floor and spin nice and freely. I think I might just replace the input bearings, mount them up with new spirax or 10w40 oil and flush them shortly after and put some MTL.

Comment

Working...
                  X