Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my S14 is dead

to cut a long story short....
    last Ring trip, car suddenly jerked and a cylinder was missing. Limped out of the track on 3 cylinders. Pulled the head today. Don't think I need to comment the pictures :shit:

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Holy Crap UWE!!!

Which pistons are those? What do you think caused the madness, vaccum leak? Sorry to see that man, not cool.
    Last edited by autox320; 09-27-2008, 05:49 AM.
    Photos

Comment

what size intake cam are you using? Very sorry to see this Uwe!:uhoh:

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
        what size intake cam are you using? Very sorry to see this Uwe!:uhoh:
        I am running same cams as you KK290/290. These are stock EVO3 pistons.
        (...seen the marks on the exhaust valve pockets? That much for "enough" piston to valve clearance)

The head is almost undamaged! Will get some more pitcures up later.
        Vacuum leak isn't a problem, I am running Alpha-N. I will check my injectors!

In total the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. The block has a very tiny mark in the line of No2 but nothing a rebore could get rid off and the head is still in good nick. Now I need to make a good plan for the winter :drums:

Comment

Looks like you were lucky considering what could've happened. Now you'll make stronger and better than ever!
          Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
            Looks like you were lucky considering what could've happened. Now you'll make stronger and better than ever!

yes very lucky! I still wonder what caused it. The car never ran lean on the WBO gauge, but as this is a reading from all four cylinders it could have creeped up slowly over time and me fiddling with the fuel map compensating for it. I hand some RICH running this year and have slowly leaned it out in midrange.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the motor. Good to hear there was no real damage to the head. Just means that you'll have more time over the winter to scrutinize things over. Hope everything goes well with the rebuild.

Comment

Uwe,
                I am actually running EvoIII intake and Evo II exhaust cams respectively. I am not using KK's. You did indeed to get lucky in a certain way...as mentioned. You will be back on the road in no time but it's still VERY depressing when these things happen.

Comment

Looks extreme lean to me. I agree could be worse and would check everything for the next build. Let us know what you find, or think happened.
                  I'm looking at Maxx Automotive pistons for my build with a pair of schrick 284s (similiar to the KK290). I already have a custom chip from Luis Marques.
                  Which chip are you running with your Alpha N?
                  As always post progress to show bringing back to life.:HeadsSpinning:
                  Photos

Comment

Originally posted by autox320 View Post
                    Looks extreme lean to me. I agree could be worse and would check everything for the next build. Let us know what you find, or think happened.
                    I'm looking at Maxx Automotive pistons for my build with a pair of schrick 284s (similiar to the KK290). I already have a custom chip from Luis Marques.
                    Which chip are you running with your Alpha N?
                    As always post progress to show bringing back to life.:HeadsSpinning:
                    I have a slightly modified chip from a tuner in Germany (mapped for my car, not off the shelf) Engine was running for 35.000 kms, so no basic error methinks or it would have blown up long before
                    Well at least I have something to do over the winter now. JE pistons, ported head, larger valves, 302 intake cam.......[peace]

Comment

Sorry to hear about this Uwe. If you need any parts, let me know, I have some that you are looking at.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                        yes very lucky! I still wonder what caused it. The car never ran lean on the WBO gauge, but as this is a reading from all four cylinders it could have creeped up slowly over time and me fiddling with the fuel map compensating for it. I hand some RICH running this year and have slowly leaned it out in midrange.
                        This is the same thing that happened here:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34832

The most common cause for broken ring lands is detonation. The most likely culprits are ignition advance and/or AFR. Air leaks, excessive heat, and oil contamination are also possibilities. The fact that the engine has no means of knock control is an aggravating factor (my new motor will have it).

Sorry to hear about this Uwe. Hopefully everything will clean up so you can get it back on the road.
                        2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                        1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                        1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by autox320 View Post
                          Looks extreme lean to me. life.:HeadsSpinning:
                          I'd disagree. Here is a pic of one of my cylinder crowns.

Less sooty carbon and deposits and there is no no evidence of det.

So I don't think Uwe's is excessively lean.

Steve
                          Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a result of a lean condition either. It may very well be detonation as a result of heat buildup. Uwe indicated the car was on the track, which means it was running hard, under load. The cylinder with the problem was an interior cylinder, and those run hottest.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the result of a bit overly aggressive ignition timing coupled with high heat. Again, unless one implements detonation control, there is nothing to prevent it from wreaking havoc. And due to hysteresis, once it starts, there will be no stopping it.
                            2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                            1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                            1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                              I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a result of a lean condition either. It may very well be detonation as a result of heat buildup. Uwe indicated the car was on the track, which means it was running hard, under load. The cylinder with the problem was an interior cylinder, and those run hottest.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the result of a bit overly aggressive ignition timing coupled with high heat. Again, unless one implements detonation control, there is nothing to prevent it from wreaking havoc. And due to hysteresis, once it starts, there will be no stopping it.

I want to get my injectors tested to get an idea of what the reason could be. I don't think my ignition is overly aggressive (try to check this as well) and because it's only on one cylinder it makes me belive that this is down to component failure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by empty View Post
                              Sorry to hear about this Uwe. If you need any parts, let me know, I have some that you are looking at.

Mike

hmmmmm, sounds interssting. PM later?
                              Last edited by UweM3; 09-27-2008, 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X