Fan Clutch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Clutch Question

How do you test the fan clutch? It is not specifically for the E30 M3 but it is for my E39. When I stop at the signal light for about 5 to 10 sec, the water temp gauge move all the way to the red zone (within 5 to 10 second). Right after I start moving, the needle went back down to middle (normal temp) again within 5 to 10 sec. TIA
    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
    Born date 01/88
    Ryan

When heated up take a newspaper and roll it up. Stick it into the fan. If you can stop the fan the clutch is toast.
    Dan

88 M3
    Black on Black

San Diego, CA
    USA

Comment

shouldn't the electric fan turn on at that point, meaning before it gets to the red zone.

Comment

I did not notice the elec fan on or not, but just did the newspaper test and yes the newspaper stop the fan easily :( Listed at $196, ouch.
        Born date 01/88
        Ryan

Comment

Check for prices at Tischer BMW:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...72&catalogid=0

They tend to have very good prices and prompt shipping

Comment

I've been using the 5-series fan clutch at $70 for the past 4 years. Roughly 15K miles on it, with street and auto-x and so far it still does the job.

Consider it.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Which 5-series? E39 or E34?
              Born date 01/88
              Ryan

Comment

P/N 11521466000

I believe it's from a e28.

Edit: I am sorry, I didn't read your post well enough to realize that it's your 5-er clutch that's gone. I don't believe the part # is interchangeable for the new 5 series cars.
                Last edited by noro; 10-03-2008, 01:08 AM.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

5 to 10 seconds seems like a pretty quick time for the engine to jump into the red just from coming to a stop.

Seems like the car might be running a little hot to start with...anyone else agree?

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M View Post
                    5 to 10 seconds seems like a pretty quick time for the engine to jump into the red just from coming to a stop.

Seems like the car might be running a little hot to start with...anyone else agree?

Agree, that really bug me a little of how fast the gauge go up and down.
                    Born date 01/88
                    Ryan

Comment

yea, well we all know how inaccurate the temp gauge is. Yes, the car is most def running hot without a proper working clutch fan. The lack of moving air just pushes the temp up enough in 5-10sec to move the gauge to red. You aux electric fan should turn on with in the red zone.
                      The E30 M3 Renewed ~ Rebuilt ~ Re-engineered

www.ZeppieriMotorsport.com

E30 M3 Rebuild Thread

Comment

You might want to start by unlocking your cluster. Search the e39 boards to find out how to do it. Once you see the actual coolant temperature, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Have you had any work done on the cooling system lately. If so you might have air in the system which needs to be purged. Is your auxiliary fan working? Have you checked the plug that goes into your thermostat? They tend to melt on the 4.4L engines on the e39 and e38.

Comment

Originally posted by mtony View Post
                          You might want to start by unlocking your cluster. Search the e39 boards to find out how to do it. Once you see the actual coolant temperature, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Have you had any work done on the cooling system lately. If so you might have air in the system which needs to be purged. Is your auxiliary fan working? Have you checked the plug that goes into your thermostat? They tend to melt on the 4.4L engines on the e39 and e38.
                          Will unlock the cluster to see what is the actual reading is. tonight.
                          I did replaced: thermostat, water pump, radiator about a year ago (radiator neck broken, very common issue so I replaced the rest as a preventive maintenance)
                          Born date 01/88
                          Ryan

Comment

What if the thermostat stuck closed all the time? I know if it stuck open then engine running too cold
                            Born date 01/88
                            Ryan

Comment

It is possible on the thermostat. I've been thinking on my side of just running the aux fan sooner, and getting rid of the manual clutch fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X