Vorshlag Motor Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorshlag Motor Mounts

The "problem" is that the upper nut of the bolt can be screwed indefinitely cause there isn't an "end run".

Thighting the nut cause the nylon spacers to deform, so what are the torqur specs for the stock motor mounts?
    power is nothing without drift

Which version of mount do you have? 75A, 80A, nylon
    I'm not so sure nylon would deform, so I assume you mean poly.

75A
    The stud has shanks for each end inside under the the aluminum caps. I tightened mine till the nut hits the shank, which stops it and it bottoms out. This gives the mount 5mm or so shorter than stock mounts(nice hood to CF airbox clearance), and the poly is slightly compressed. The mounts were NV in cabin when new, but have settled down since wore in a few thousand miles. Engine doesn't move much if at all, so no more rubbing the hood liner.
    I'm running them with 5series E28 transmission mounts. Solid subframe, and delrin trail arms.

Guess I should mention the throttle response connection feels instant as possible without welding everything to the frame.
    Last edited by autox320; 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM.
    Photos

Comment

Originally posted by autox320 View Post
      Which version of mount do you have? 75A, 80A, nylon
      I'm not so sure nylon would deform, so I assume you mean poly.

75A
      The stud has shanks for each end inside under the the aluminum caps. I tightened mine till the nut hits the shank, which stops it and it bottoms out. This gives the mount 5mm or so shorter than stock mounts(nice hood to CF airbox clearance), and the poly is slightly compressed. The mounts were NV in cabin when new, but have settled down since wore in a few thousand miles. Engine doesn't move much if at all, so no more rubbing the hood liner.
      I'm running them with 5series E28 transmission mounts. Solid subframe, and delrin trail arms.

Guess I should mention the throttle response connection feels instant as possible without welding everything to the frame.

I thought the Vorshlags were designed to maintain FACTORY engine positioning... ?
      Motorsport 16v

Comment

Straight from the horses mouth..Terry at Vorshlag.

"When installing the poly motor mounts tighten the TOP nut until the top of the stud just pokes through. If you keep tightening the nut it will compress the poly and make it too firm. There is no magic torque setting to shoot for - the nylon ring in the nut will keep the nut in place. Again, just get it where the stud is poking through the top nut and that should be perfect."

I agree with the height comment, Vorshlag state that the mounts are the exact height of the factory units when they are compressed.

Cheers
        Aaron

"But most of all...
        ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Just tighten them to user preference.

"These are built 5mm shorter than the OEM mount height (which is what the OEM mounts compress to with a motor installed) - to reduce the likelihood of hose or airbox alignment problems - the way most racers ask for them."
          Photos

Comment

OK, just wanted to clarify some things...

The S14 poly mount is actually 3mm shorter then stock (I just remeasured and took the picture below + updated our product entry page). Our poly mounts compress less than the rubber mounts, and this should take it to the same installed height as the compressed rubber OEM mount.

The post from "Az in Oz" above refers to our E36 poly mounts (I was referencing the wrong part when I first conversed with him). I later replied with this: "(for E30 M3 S14 poly mounts) Tighten the top nuts down until they begin to tighten and then go just 2 turns more. If you keep cranking down they will overtighten." The Nylon inserts hold them in place. If you overtighten the top nut on our poly mounts they can compress the bushing and get slightly shorter, but this also firms up the material and can cause added NVH. Clear as mud?

I'm Terry Fair and I approve this message. :yup:
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com

Comment

Great set of mounts Terry, I'm very happy with them.

I was incorrect in my first post, I have the 70A durometer, not 75.
              Photos

Comment

Thanks Terry :OMG:

Aaron

"But most of all...
                ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

I have a set of Vorshlag 70A motor mounts "never installed" for sale - $150
                  that's $50 less than buying direct.
                  JAMES
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X