Tie Rod choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Rod choices

I'm sure this has been brought up many times but I can't use the search function for some reason.

Pelican lists two different options for tie rods:

One OEM Lemfoerder for $68.75 ea.
    One from Karlyn for $25.75 ea.

Anybody know they difference or whether the Karlyn is suitable?

Need to order this am. Thanks.

I bought mine frome Turner, not sure about what fabric it was but.. They sell the complete assambly with tie rod and steering ball.
    1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Comment

go Lemfoerder, same as OE

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Not related to the tie rod, but the Search feature doesn't work for me either (I.E. 6.02). I have to use firefox to use the search feature on S14.net. HTH.

Pat
        Pat

Comment

I donít know of the difference between Lemfoerder and Karlyn.

FWIW I have Vista and have no problem with the search however, on win 2000 and XP the search or any of the dropdowns donít work. I even have ie7 on Xp and still the same problem. Also I have the same problem on s14power, e46fanatics, mkiv and supraforums so it's not s14.net specific issue. Hereís a thread on this http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30175 best advice is to right click and open a new window to search.

Originally posted by drinaldis
          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
            I donít know of the difference between Lemfoerder and Karlyn.

FWIW I have Vista and have no problem with the search however, on win 2000 and XP the search or any of the dropdowns donít work. I even have ie7 on Xp and still the same problem. Also I have the same problem on s14power, e46fanatics, mkiv and supraforums so it's not s14.net specific issue. Hereís a thread on this http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30175 best advice is to right click and open a new window to search.

That worked! Opening in new window allows me to search. thanks for the tip!

I am cheap SOB so I got the Karlyn ones. I know by the very fact that I am writing this in less than 10 minutes someone will reply that they are the worst POS ever and my car is destined to go down in a ball of flames..

Comment

I've never even heard of Karlyn for suspension parts, they do make plug wires for many German cars . .

To date I have not yet found any brand of suspension component for any BMW model that matches the quality of Lemforder. I would personally not use anything other than OEM for suspension components.

fwiw, VSR will sell Lemforder tie rod assemblies at $60.00 each with the safety lock washer.

Mario L.
              www.VSR1.com

Comment

I did some research on Karlyn and it seems they make (in N.Y.) tie rods and ball joints for older VW's and expanded their line to include Audi/BMW/MBZ. They are known for making ignition wire sets though.

I am in the market for some tie rods myself since they are original and I'm experiencing a slight left/right shimmy. Everything else has already been changed so I figure I'd change them out too then get an alignment.

I found Karlyn tie rods for $23.93 each! considerably less than Lemfoerders but fear they won't last as long.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I tried Karlyn control arms. Short version of it is, returned them for credit. Didn't fit right, just poor made. Bought Lemforder and had a beer.
                  Photos

Comment

VSR sells lemforder tie rod end assemblies for $60.00 each with the lock washer.

Most always in stock for same day shipping.

Mario L.
                    www.VSR1.com

Comment

I installed one of the Karlyn replacement tie rods a couple nights ago. Dam what a b!tch it is to get 18 year old parts off a car. The locking plate washer thing is not easy to open up. Big hammer and big screwdriver finally did it. The Karlyn tie rods looked basically identical to the oem units. I was very happy with them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others.

One thing that dissapointed was the replacement locking plate. I ordered the factory replacement part number 32111124540. It was smaller than the original though and not near as much of it bent around the tie rod knuckle. It should still work out ok but I would have prefered larger dia like the original that came off the car. I don't think this has anything to do with a different design of the Karlyn as it appeared to be same size as orig. I'll recheck and maybe pull out the calipers to measure everything when I do the other side in a couple weeks..

Comment

Karlyn is garbage. None of them last very long in our experience both with the BMW's and Audi/VW's which we mostly sell. Stick with OE Lemfoerder with those items.
                        Michael
                        www.purems.com | Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

IIRC the Karlyn, Meyle, and TRW inner rods have 32 mm wrench flats in a hex shape. The Lemfoerder has one wrench flat at 27 mm. The lock plates that you ordered were meant for OE/Lemfoerder tie rods.

I believe you'd be better off with E36 tie rod lock plates if you use Karlyn, Meyle, or TRW inner rods. If you are running an aggressive tire fitment and rub on the inner wheelhouse you might be better off with E36 tie rod lock plates from the E36 M3/328.

Comment

Originally posted by robertm View Post
                            That worked! Opening in new window allows me to search. thanks for the tip!

I am cheap SOB so I got the Karlyn ones. I know by the very fact that I am writing this in less than 10 minutes someone will reply that they are the worst POS ever and my car is destined to go down in a ball of flames..
                            hmm... well there weren't flames involved... :sosad:
                            Mark Williams
                            Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mario L. View Post
                              VSR sells lemforder tie rod end assemblies for $60.00 each with the lock washer.

Most always in stock for same day shipping.

Mario L.
                              www.VSR1.com
                              Mario, still do these for $60ea + shipping? Shipping is to Australia, post code 4074.
                              Last edited by OZM3; 04-17-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X