Failed California Smog twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed California Smog twice

I was told to replace the cat, but it has not changed. The smog shop, says it is running too rich at 15 mph. Any suggestions?

I have done a search, but no one updates the results with what fixed the issue. Please post results, not just the questions.

All I can really suggest, is to install a WBO2 setup so you will have some idea what is going on. Other than that, all you can do is the standard EFI diagnostic checks. The problem could be injector(s), AFM, Baro sensor, engine temp sensor, O2 sensor, and perhaps less likely, the TPS.

The advantage to the WBO2, is that you will know when the problem is fixed without having to take another smog test. If the car is running at or near 14.7 AFR (1 lambda) in the region tested (roughly 2K RPM at light/moderate load in Ca) it will pass the smog test, and usually pass by very large margins.

There are good inexpensive books around for troubleshooting Bosch EFI, if you don't know enough to start. If you are not a DIY type guy, any shop worth a crap should be able to tell you where the problem is without too much expense. Schatz and Krum is in Sacramento. My experience with them has been decent.

HTH

Comment

Can you post your numbers?
      David
      Redwood City, CA

Comment

Ironhead, where in CA are you? anywhere near Monterey?

A special thank you to:
        archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

%[email protected] %O2 HC(PPM) CO% NO(PPM)
          Test Result. Any help would be appreciated. They said that it is getting too much fuel or not enough air. I did mess with the idle air/fuel ratio screw (stupidly) about a year ago, but would that affect it at 15mph?

test rpm meas meas max gp meas max gp meas max gp meas
          15mph 1920 8.2 0.2 118 293 414 0.75 2.25 9.98 799 2002 63
          25mph 2036 14.3 0.7 93 243 90 0.63 2.13 0.05 738 1802 62

15mph gross polluter
          25mph pass

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This may sound rediculous, but would it make a difference if I put 205/50/15 track tires on there vs. my street tires that are 235/40/17's. It would raise the rpm's by 500rpm's at 15mph.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

%CO2 %O2 HC (PPM) CO (%) NO (PPM)
          test rpm meas meas max gp meas max gp meas max gp meas
          15mph 1920 8.2 0.2 118 293 414 0.75 2.25 9.98 799 2002 63
          25mph 2036 14.3 0.7 93 243 90 0.63 2.13 0.05 738 1802 62

15mph gross polluter
          25mph pass
          Last edited by temple; 10-21-2008, 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I know this isnt going to help you out much at the moment, but maybe you can get started on it. You should look into maybe trying to find a guy to "help you out". I have a guy, and he even does Test Only's cuz thats all they ever send my ///M3 to do. I wish you luck and Im sorry I couldnt help you more.

Mariano

Comment

mariano check your PMs bro. help a brother out

A special thank you to:
              archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Try BG44K. You can get it at Napa. It will clean up the injectors. Sounds like you may have a stuck injector that does not close properly. It's a cheap fix but may get you past smog.
                Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Comment

Do not keep trying to smog it until you fix the problem, your car may end up on a profile list and permanent test-only status. Wideband is a good start, change your O2 and catalytic and you should drive the car (hard) for 30 minutes to an hour right before the test.
                  Rich!

Comment

The jets were cleaned and mapped eight months ago and the O2 sensor was replaced a year ago. My car gets a lot of maintenance.

I did drive the car hard for 20 minutes, but not 30 minutes to an hour. Would an over-rich idle make it richer at 15 mph (not pass) and burn off at 25mph (pass).

Can the O2 sensor go bad within a year from tracking it 15 times a year?

Comment

Originally posted by temple View Post
                      The jets were cleaned and mapped eight months ago and the O2 sensor was replaced a year ago. My car gets a lot of maintenance.

I did drive the car hard for 20 minutes, but not 30 minutes to an hour. Would an over-rich idle make it richer at 15 mph (not pass) and burn off at 25mph (pass).

Can the O2 sensor go bad within a year from tracking it 15 times a year?
                      Honestly dude, this is not rocket science. Take it to Schatz and Krum, tell them the problem, and I wager you for less than $200 they will tell you what it needs. If you can't afford that, you are driving the wrong car.

Comment

I prefer to fix it myself and I drive for there competitor (Valley Motorworks) at the track. Money is not the issue! I prefer to fix it myself, otherwise I would have bought a new car.

Comment

I prefer to fix it myself and I drive for there competitor (Valley Motorworks) at the track. Money is not the issue! I prefer to fix it myself, otherwise I would have bought a new car.
                          Unfortunately without a gas analyzer you may be SOL on the DIY. I tried to DIY when my car failed for being too rich. I hooked up a DMM to the O2 sensor and adjusted the idle mixture screw till it ran with a more lean reading based on something I read on the internet. It sort of worked (better), but I finally had to just take it to a shop. Ron at IPB (Sac) was cool. we hooked my car up and they charged me an hour to "set the base CO". It passed (barely) after that. Next time around I had a new cat and no other changes and it was super clean. Donít underestimate what a nice big Magnaflow cat can do.

By the way, did I see you yesterday on Jst around 4pm? (DS with BBS RKís)

Comment

Is that IPB Motorsport at 12th and C?

Yes, that was me. It is crazy how many e30 m3's are around, even though I never see them.
                            Last edited by temple; 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Is that IPB Motorsport at 12th and C?

Yes, that was me. It is crazy how many e30 m3's are around, even though I never see them.

I think so. I haven't been there in years, so they could have moved. The Shop used to be on the south side of downtown close to the Target, but same name, so I am pretty sure its the same place.

Yeah, surprisingly there are a lot of E30ís in Sac even though you never see them. Most are like mine though and donítí see the light of day much. I organized a Sac meet about a year ago and only about half of the ones I know of showed up. It would be cool to get everyone together. Oh well. Maybe one of the Euro Sundayís or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X