"Over-cooling" the differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Over-cooling" the differential

Is it possible to cool your differential too much?
    I'm aware that over-cooling the engine/engine oil can have effects on the engines power/running... however, what about the differential?

Can you keep the differential too-cool, possibly affecting clutch packs/lock up characteristics?

Didn't see anything that spoke to this when I searched...

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

my guess is no in that, I don't think that there is anything you can buy or put in there (assuming normal filling) that can have such an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
      my guess is no in that, I don't think that there is anything you can buy or put in there (assuming normal filling) that can have such an effect.
      There are external diff cooling setups, circulating oil via electric pump. My question stems from the thought that using this setup the external cooler might cool the diff oil too much?
      Chris L.

Comment

Oh....I thought you were talking conventionally.

Comment

i believe the one consideration is the temperature that the oil inside the diff needs to be to be at operating temperatures. so if you use a 75W90, then it should have an ideal working temp of XXX F, vs. say a 75W140 would have a higher temp? Now i ahve no idea what those numbers might be, but i would guess if yoru oil is TOO cold fo the operating temperature that the oil wont' function as well as it should.

Comment

I follow the convention that one should warm up fluids before running the car hard. I've never heard of any over cooling of the rear diff with a pump and radiator.

I think the best way to make sure is to use an infrared pyrometer to see if the diff runs below the recommended temperature range for the oil you use.

Makes me wonder if the DTM cars warmed up their diff before the start of the race. I guess if they had a sighting lap that would serve this purpose.
            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by m3pat2 View Post
              I follow the convention that one should warm up fluids before running the car hard. I've never heard of any over cooling of the rear diff with a pump and radiator.
              I agree 100% and this is the same mantra I subscribe to as well.
              I just started to think about short sprint races vs. enduro's and cooling capabilities.

Thanks,
              Chris
              Chris L.

Comment

Well just like everything with a cooler... you could use a inline thermostat or have the pump run on a temp switch.

Yes, I think you can over cool a diff, just like an engine or transmission.
                -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

From conversations I've had with Diffman Dan (www.|auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit|) it seems highly unlikely that even a combo of a finned cover and a diff cooler will result in too low operating fluid temps. He strongly recommneds both as a matter of fact.

Also polishing the gears can help reduce temps as well.
                  sigpic
                  2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                  2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                  2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                  2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                  2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

I am sure it is possible to cool the diff to the point that the oil is not at "ideal" operating temp when just driving around. The question is whether that would hurt anything.

Having said that, LSDs generate so much heat, I don't think over cooling would be possible when the car is being driven hard.

Comment

Originally posted by JS154 View Post
                      From conversations I've had with Diffman Dan (www.|auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit||auto-edit|) it seems highly unlikely that even a combo of a finned cover and a diff cooler will result in too low operating fluid temps. He strongly recommneds both as a matter of fact.

Also polishing the gears can help reduce temps as well.
                      Not to sidetrack here, but wtf is up with not being able to post diffs online links?
                      Photos

Comment

Originally posted by autox320 View Post
                        Not to sidetrack here, but wtf is up with not being able to post diffs online links?
                        IIRC, someone on the board was not happy with the way they were treated by the business. That might be the issue, or maybe it is set up so no direct links to companies can be posted in general discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                          IIRC, someone on the board was not happy with the way they were treated by the business. That might be the issue, or maybe it is set up so no direct links to companies can be posted in general discussion.

Oh, a sore spot maybe, okie dokie. I was able to post other links just never understood the ban of their linking. Thanks.
                          Photos

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13635

Comment

Back on topic... over-cooling.

:drive:
                              Chris L.

Comment

Working...
                              X