idle bonkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle bonkers

Alright for the last few weeks I have been searching this forum for help. I have tried a few things and replaced both the blue and brown temp sensors but I am about to give in and take the car to a shop. My idle is really low, doesn't matter if she's cold or hot. Idle bounces and she will actually die if I let it run without adding gas. The problem that keeps coming up as well is that my brake light malfunction light will come on even if all working, it does this every now and then. Once it actually read that my low beam was out. Can this all be the same problem? I thought it might be the ecu transistors but by reading others threads the symptoms didn't match up.

Any help I would appreciate.
    If I for some chance missed an old thread I apologize.
    @slowprogress

idle

Check that the oil dipstick o-rings are holding it in place tightly. Found this to be the reason for a rough idle a few months ago.

Comment

^ I tried that today and no luck. They can't be expensive so I might as well replace them.

Thank you
      @slowprogress

Comment

ICV

m

Comment

Speaking of ICV, I bought one to replace it as a precautionary measure because of the transistor issue. Does anyone know the easiest way to get to the ICV to replace it? It's pretty hard to get to from looking at it.

Comment

I would check all air hoses coming off the bottom of the plenum for cracks. That was my problem.

-gabor
            October 1987 build date.

Comment

Originally posted by mtony View Post
              Speaking of ICV, I bought one to replace it as a precautionary measure because of the transistor issue. Does anyone know the easiest way to get to the ICV to replace it? It's pretty hard to get to from looking at it.
              kill the 12v and Remove the alternator. or get some O rings and remove the plenum.

m

Comment

removing the plenum is easiest

Comment

what do you need to check the ICV?
                  @slowprogress

Comment

Locate the three terminal plug along the fuel rail that leads to the ICV.
                    disconnect the plug and check the resistance between each outer terminal and the center terminal. 18-20 Ohms is good. less than 17 is ungood.
                    m

Comment

Well today she died after I tanked up and everytime I would re-start she would continue to die, unless I added gas. My brakes went out and she wasn't running on all cylinders. I am waiting as we speak for her to cool down so I can check my spark plugs. The brake lines seem fine. I havent had the time to check the ICV. I am stranded at my gfs house and don't have any of my tools.
                      Can this be an electrical issue?
                      @slowprogress

Comment

If your brakes were gone it is very likely that your problem is the vacuum line from the intake to the brake booster. This is the hose that runs past the plenum and is held in place by the clamp at the end of the plenum (the end closest to the windshield). Check the fittings on both ends of that line.

Good luck!
                        Dominic

Comment

^ I feel dumb. That's exactly what it was the vaccum line had fallen off. Drove home today, still having that idle issue though so going to check the ICV. Thank You so much for everyones help so far.
                          @slowprogress

Comment

I was looking for threads on the vaccum line and I found this one
                            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=vaccum+line
                            suggestions are to jb weld it shut. Is that what I should do because when I was going onto the freeway it popped out again and that's just dangerous.

The reason I'm asking is because that thread is so old there maybe better ways of handling the problem.
                            Last edited by JZM3; 11-06-2008, 10:00 AM. Reason: added explaination
                            @slowprogress

Comment

Don't JB Weld it shut, just JB weld it in place (around the outside).

Comment

Working...
                              X