Momo steering wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momo steering wheels

For those who track and race what would you recommend? Does the hub adaptor move the wheel closer? I have the M Tech 2 and its too far away.
    Webb
    1988 Diamantschwarz
    2004 Jet Black

Momo Wheels

Originally posted by whayes View Post
    For those who track and race what would you recommend? Does the hub adaptor move the wheel closer? I have the M Tech 2 and its too far away.

Several adapters are out on the market & they are not all the same height. I would use a suede wheel. Sparco, Momo, Sabelt, & OMP are the most common. I would also checkout a small brand called Tekniq. I use their model 964 or 965 suede wheel. It's great & about 30% less expensive the big brands. They sell hubs also.

http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/steeringquickrelease.htm

Sparco & Smart Racing Products make spacers to move the wheel closer if you need it. Sparcos spacers are available in a variety of thicknesses. I'm not sure about Smart Racing sizes, the one I had was about a 1" or so.

Tekniq also make a quick release system to remove the wheel called Snap-off, it works great.

Good Luck,
    Mike K.

http://family.webshots.com/album/559...chSbMO?start=0

Comment

I personally disagree about getting the suede wheel, unless you are going to be doing "real" racing and wearing nomex gloves.....

For bare hands, smooth leather is better IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have heard those add about 2"? I am about 6 ft tall and have momo racing seats. Right now the wheel (MTech2) is too far from my seat position when i drive.
        Webb
        1988 Diamantschwarz
        2004 Jet Black

Comment

If you want the wheel closer to you then either a spacer or a deep dish steering wheel should do it?
          Cheers,
          Mario

Comment

Momo Competition 350mm
            Momo hub adapter
            Smart racing spacer

I chose a smooth leather wheel b/c I don't drive w/ gloves on; either on the street or track. Suede wheels get all matted down and nasty

I used a spacer to get closer to me. The Competition wheel is not dished at all. A stock wheel has a bit of dish. So overall, the wheel is closer to me than stock and is very comfortable for where I sit (i'm 6'1" but sit fairly close to the wheel)

for reference:
            James
            sigpic

Comment

I run a momo mod 78 in suede on my car with a 20mm spacer. I also made a spacer to shim down the steering column a bit, to get it to where I like.

I don't recommend a suede wheel for regular street us at all. Even on the street i wear my racing gloves and it still gets matted down really bad. It does feel nice on the track though. for a purely track car i'd still get a suede wheel, but for anything that sees street miles id stick to leather.

I've felt every single momo wheel, and the leather competition wheel is really nice. the mod 78 is very narrow, while the competition has thicker grips.
              Last edited by paintpro21; 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM.
              ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

James - where did you get your stuff? OG?
                Webb
                1988 Diamantschwarz
                2004 Jet Black

Comment

Momo Wheels

Originally posted by fj0- View Post
                  If you want the wheel closer to you then either a spacer or a deep dish steering wheel should do it?
                  That depends on which hub you use. The Momo has a crush zone that will ad a 1" or so. I removed the crush zone area to ad a quick release system. But I also have other E30 M3 brand of hubs that don't ad the 1".

"For those who TRACK and RACE what would you recommend?"

Guys, please don't under value the grip of a suede wheel. The question was "track & race". If your going to drive your car 25,000 miles a year on the street & track your car 1,000 miles that same year, sure suede is not the right wheel. But, please look at the question, it was "For those who track and race what would you recommend?" Show me any race car that has a leather wheel... Every one has a suede wheel. Yes suede wheels get "matted" down, but what 3,4,5 year old leather wheel does not get slick as it ages. As a suede wheel gets matted down, it still has great grip with or without gloves.

I've driven both leather & suede wheels at the track (Momo, Sparco, OMP, Sebelt etc.). I will never again drive my car without gloves & a suede wheel on the track in my cars. I was never convinced of this until I borrowed gloves & did it. I maybe in shorts & t-shirt, but I will have gloves on......

Mike K.

Comment

Mike,

There is no real disagreement. Everyone said suede is better on the track with gloves, just like you did.

We just said it is no good on the street with bare hands. I do think suede sucks with bare hands. Poor grip and rug burn.
                    Last edited by Ironhead; 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
                      I maybe in shorts & t-shirt, but I will have gloves on......
                      +10
                      '91 SpecE30 #523
                      '03 540i/6 M-Sport
                      '00 F-350 Dually
                      BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
                      My Track Schedule

Comment

Sorry to go off topic in your thread Webb, but what kind of gloves do you guys use? I still haven't picked up a pair yet because I borrowed a friend's pair a couple years ago - the combination of those (pretty old) gloves and my stock wheel seemed much more slippery than just my bare hands...

I now run a Momo Monte Carlo. I really like the feel of it and I believe that the design suits the era of the car much better than some of the newer Momo designs (like the Jet, etc). I was also able to pick it used pretty inexpensively.
                        Dominic

Comment

webb,
                          wheel and adapter came from VAC
                          spacer came from OG
                          James
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic View Post
                            Sorry to go off topic in your thread Webb, but what kind of gloves do you guys use?
                            http://www.teamdi.com/digloves.html
                            '91 SpecE30 #523
                            '03 540i/6 M-Sport
                            '00 F-350 Dually
                            BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
                            My Track Schedule

Comment

I use a MOMO Jet with the MOMO adapter and an NRG quick release hub bolted on top of that and it brings it to within the 90 deg. elbow angle I need for my driving position. I did have the MOMO hub modified @1/2" shorter to get it right and decent distance from the stalks.
                              Rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X