Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold startup.

I haven't ran my car in a few monthes.
    What do you suggest I check before starting up?
    Oil level? Etc?
    1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
    2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

stick the key in and turn it. If it doesn't start
    then start thinking about checking things.

Comment

Check fluids at least.

Also, when I let my car sit for an extended period of time, I like to set the code on the obc and then try to start it for a few turns(so basically disable the fuel pump). You can build a bit of oil pressure this way before you run your car.

Then punch in the code and fire her up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftBMW View Post
        Check fluids at least.

Also, when I let my car sit for an extended period of time, I like to set the code on the obc and then try to start it for a few turns(so basically disable the fuel pump). You can build a bit of oil pressure this way before you run your car.

Then punch in the code and fire her up.
        could you explain this in a bit more detail please, thanks!
        sigpic
        Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

Sure.

When a car sits for a long time and no oil gets circulated through the motor, wear surfaces usually lubricated by oil can become drier than usual.

Your starter turns your motor at a lower rpm than idle by a good bit and accordingly applies less force to things like your rod bearings than your idle does. The starter is a good way to circulate a little bit of oil before idling.

The OBC "CODE" feature is designed to work as an antitheft device by cutting the fuel supply(cuts power to fuel pump I believe). By engaging the "CODE," you essentially cut fuel going to the motor, allowing you to spin your motor with your starter without actually starting your motor. As a sidenote, this is also a good way to depressurize your fuel system.

The most wear on any motor takes place at startup. This is especially true for cars that have sat for a long time. Spinning your motor in any way on a dry bearing surface is inevitably going to cause some wear. I think using the starter to circulate a bit of oil before idling is a reasonable way to mitigate some of the wear caused.

That's always been my logic. You don't even have to open the hood to find relays or anything. Just do it all from the driver's seat using the OBC.
          Last edited by ShiftBMW; 11-02-2008, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Sure.

When a car sits for a long time and no oil gets circulated through the motor, wear surfaces usually lubricated by oil can become drier than usual.

Your starter turns your motor at a lower rpm than idle by a good bit and accordingly applies less force to things like your rod bearings than your idle does. The starter is a good way to circulate a little bit of oil before idling.

The OBC "CODE" feature is designed to work as an antitheft device by cutting the fuel supply(cuts power to fuel pump I believe). By engaging the "CODE," you essentially cut fuel going to the motor, allowing you to spin your motor with your starter without actually starting your motor. As a sidenote, this is also a good way to depressurize your fuel system.

The most wear on any motor takes place at startup. This is especially true for cars that have sat for a long time. Spinning your motor in any way on a dry bearing surface is inevitably going to cause some wear. I think using the starter to circulate a bit of oil before idling is a reasonable way to mitigate some of the wear caused.

That's always been my logic. You don't even have to open the hood to find relays or anything. Just do it all from the driver's seat using the OBC.
            sorry, i should have clarified - how do I enable this 'code' feature? Sorry for my ignorance and my car is far away in a garage so I can't readily go get the manual.
            sigpic
            Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

Really?
              I never knew that the OBC could disable the engine.
              I wish I knew that before.
              Also that would be a good way to lubricate the internals.
              Thanks.
              1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
              2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

To use the code:

1)Make sure car is OFF
                2)Turn key to position 1
                3)Hit "CODE" on your OBC
                4)Using the 4 numbers on bottom, type a code of your choice*

*REMEMBER CODE

5)Turn key to off position. Now the fuel pump will be disengaged until code is reentered.

From here, to start your car, turn your key to the number 1 position. Your OBC will prompt you to enter the code you input. Enter it. Then, you can start your car. If you just want to disable the code, all you need to do is turn to position two.

It's all in the owners manual...

Comment

I too am far away from the car without looking into the owners manual. Know about the code function, but forget if you can clear it. Like if you forget the code can't it be cleared by removing the battery negative for 30sec?

I have a hidden kill sw in my car and don't trust the obc.
                  Photos

Comment

To use the code:

1)Make sure car is OFF
                    2)Turn key to position 1
                    3)Hit "CODE" on your OBC
                    4)Using the 4 numbers on bottom, type a code of your choice*

*REMEMBER CODE

5)Turn key to off position. Now the fuel pump will be disengaged until code is reentered.

From here, to start your car, turn your key to the number 1 position. Your OBC will prompt you to enter the code you input. Enter it. Then, you can start your car. If you just want to disable the code, all you need to do is turn to position two.

It's all in the owners manual...
                    damn, very cool! Going to store this in my memory bank!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X