Who has a 262 CR car in the NE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a 262 CR car in the NE?

I just realized that the engine combo I bought in Sept came with a 262CR. So was wondering if I could get a ride in one to see how short the gearing is vs the US OD box.

My engine is coming out for paint in January so swapping the transmission and a 3.25lsd in the rear is not much more of a headache. Besides I want to put the stock cat back in as well vs the aftermarket ones in the car now.

Thanks Greg
    Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

I have one in Marshfield, MA - but unfortunately the car won't be running again until Spring. It's paired with a 3.25 diff and I love the combo. When I free up the cash, I'm going to a 3.72 because my car is a track car - I don't even use 5th gear much on track right now.
    sigpic
    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Did you ever drive this combo on the street Brendan? Oh by the way thanks for the stuff I bought from you over the summer. The Engine mounts were the trick to tightening up the engine compartment.

I plan to do JBR flywheel and 262 and 3.25 maybe 3.46. Thoughts for street?

Comment

I have a 262 with a 3.25, which is an ok combo for the streets in the US. I would definitely go 3.46, 3.64 or 3.73 if I had the option.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Any reason why you haven't swapped to a shorter ratio?

Comment

How do you know that you got a 262CR? Don't they look the same from the outside?
            Motorsport 16v

Comment

Stamp on outside, says 262 vs 265? Pete M mentioned this to me as well when I called him about 2 weeks ago it just didn't sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                Any reason why you haven't swapped to a shorter ratio?
                It's manageable, just not optimal for my taste. I also have other priorities at the moment. However, I've been looking for a good used shorter diff, but I haven't seen any deals pop up.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                97 Porsche Carrera S
                13 Audi S6
                SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure if mine is the 262 or the 265CR. There's a thread on this board if you search that argues that all E30 M3's are either 265/5 or 265/6 - one of them being the standard US OD, the other being the CR dogleg. In any case, mine is a CR dogleg with 3.25.

It was fine on the street, but then again, it's the only M3 I've ever driven - I've never driven a OD / 4.10 combo. On the highway I was around 28mpg at 75mph.

- Brendan
                  sigpic

Comment

I thought the story was that the CR transmissions are 265 as well, but the casing they used were leftover 262 stamped casings.
                    1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
                    "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

If you're interested in the semantics, here's the thread:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30103
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                        I thought the story was that the CR transmissions are 265 as well, but the casing they used were leftover 262 stamped casings.
                        You know, I guess I might have to just pull it apart. I was told by Pete Mc that it was a 5 spd CR which was perfect for the application he sold it for S14 5spd swap for an 02. I don't really doubt him so?

This whole 262/265/5 thing is convoluted on the web.

Comment

Well, if it has the dogleg shift pattern - my guess is it's a CR too. Whether or not it's a certain variant of 262 / 265 may not matter.

Another way to check for sure, look at the final drive ratio of the 265 vs 262, etc. Then put the motor in gear (5th) and rotate the engine. Mark the output shaft of the transmission and see how many rotations it completes for each rotation of the engine / flywheel. I believe the close ratio is a 1:1 fifth, whereas the US OD box is a .82:1 fifth.
                          sigpic

Comment

I thought this was appropriate for general discussion. If you'd prefer it back in Off Topic let me know and I'll move it back.

Jake

Comment

Jake it was initially a off topic discussion but if you feel we should move it general discussion it doesn't matter much to me.

Moved some of your old toys to D-M the other day thou, picked em up in Balad.

Comment

Working...
                              X