Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil separator to oil pan question

Hi,

I have an early Euro car where the vacuum connection on the valve cover is plumbed directly back into the plenum, instead of going to an oil separator like most M3s. I'm not fond of this setup, and the #4 intake runner has the oil residue to show why this isn't ideal.

Anyway, I've ordered some of the parts to change this over to the later setup with oil separator. My question is a bit obscure since few have probably tackled this...

Does anyone know how part #13 attaches to the pan? On my pan there is a bolt in its place. Is part #13 a screw in piece (using this bolt hole) or a press in piece? If it's a press in piece then I guess I'll have to think of other options.

Currently, there is a drain in the plenum that goes to the oil dipstick, another unique feature of the early cars.

Thanks for any ideas.

1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
    "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

#13 is a thread is a bolt / tube part. The center portion has a bolt head, the upper has a nipple for #12 hose & the bottom is a pipe.

Thanks,
    Mike K.

Comment

Thanks for the picture Thor. I've never seen on in person and this picture helps.

As payback, here is a picture from underneath showing the drain tube #13.

Do you happen to have any good pictures of the drain tube connecting to the dipstick tube? I've never seen that before.

Thanks,
      Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Do you happen to have any good pictures of the drain tube connecting to the dipstick tube? I've never seen that before.

Thanks,
        Jake

I would like to see this as well. Please post a pic.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by drinaldis
        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Thanks for the pics!

Here's my motivation for updating things... you can see the oil on trumpet #4.

Here's the hose that connects to the dipstick. I have it blocked up with a bolt and hose clamp right now to keep dirt from getting in the oil.

That hose leads up to the bottom of the plenum. Is the early plenum shaped the same (other than the 90 degree connection that leads to the valve cover)? Mine has a definite low point where there is a nipple for connection to the hose shown above. I have a black rubber stopper covering the nipple right now. And yes, painting the plenum is part of my winter projects.

1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
          "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Thor,
            I had the same setup on mine, I quickly changed it over and installed the oil separator. Tapped into the upper oil pan with the lower removed. easy to do.
            -Tony-
            1991 M3 10Km
            1989 M3
            BEGINS HERE

Comment

I don't follow... did you have to remove the lower oil pan to do this?
              1987 Euro M3, Jet Black

Comment

Thor,
                ya i did, just because your going to have to drill the hole and thread it for the drain tube, and you dny want any shaving entering into the engine oil.
                -Tony-
                1991 M3 10Km
                1989 M3
                BEGINS HERE

Comment

Thanks for the pictures! I've never seen that dip stick tube before with the added peice for oil drain back.

Jake

Comment

The plenum is also different from the later setup with respect to the size of the intake. On your setup it's the same size as the outlet of the AFM, on the later setup the size has increased.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
                    The plenum is also different from the later setup with respect to the size of the intake. On your setup it's the same size as the outlet of the AFM, on the later setup the size has increased.
                    old style over less-old style...
                    Last edited by hardtailer; 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                    X