Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Random questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random questions

I've got a bunch of random things I can't confirm on the M3 because I'm away from home. Any help would be appreciated.

Just one question for the moment...

You've pulled the windshield washer fluid pump from the tank but haven't disconnected the hoses. Is it possible to thread the pump out through the rad mount frame where it comes out above the head light assemblies? I can't remember if the pump will fit through all the holes.

Since I pull the hood regularly I just cut the hoses and rejoined them with plastic adapters. But probably not everybody is willing to do this.

Thanks guys,
    Jake

Jake,
    I have never attempted to pull the pump through there, but I just went out to look at my car for you. It looks like it would probably be impossible to snake the pump through without removing the headlights.

What are you working on?
    Dominic

Comment

THANK you Dominic. I appreciate you having a look for me. I couldn't remember for the life of me.

For the past couple years I've been working on a maintenance manual for the M3. But it's kinda been one of those "on again off again" things; work, moving, life regularly gets in the way. But right now I'm away from home and finding some free time here and there so I've been trying to hack away at it.

Right now I'm working on the engine removal proceedure and when it comes to removing the hood I couldn't remember if you could pull the pump out from around the headlights or not. I've always just cut the tube and used a joiner on my own car. But I figured some may not be willing to do that so I didn't want to write that into the proceedure (although it will be included as a note now).

Anyway, it's still another few years before it'll be done. But for now I thought I'd just clarify things through you guys since I don't have access to my M3 or the parts. And since there will probably be more random questions like this it just made sense to start a "random question" thread.

Thanks again Dominic.

Jake

Comment

Awesome, sounds like a great project. Let me know if you need help with photos or someone to try out or review procedures.

Good luck!
        Dominic

Comment

Thanks Dominic. As they get finished I'll post them up.

I do need some photo help now that you mention it. I've never owned an E30 of any kind that had AC so I have absolutely zero pictures of the AC system. I realised this the other day with the engine removal procedure. All US M3's had AC so it's important to include it.

I was thinking of checking on local M3 owners when I get back home to see if I can take some pictures, but if anybody has some good pictures they'd like to share here that would be great.

At the moment, I just need something for the engine removal write up. So a picture of the AC compressor mounted showing all the lines and electrical connections is needed. Maybe it's normal not to disconnect the lines and force having to service the AC. Do people just unbolt the compressor from the bracket and leave it in the engine bay during engine removal?

Thanks,
          Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
            Do people just unbolt the compressor from the bracket and leave it in the engine bay during engine removal?
            That's exactly what I've done when pulling engines in the past. It's great because you don't need to get it drained/refilled. The only downside is that the compressor can get in the way when you're working.

Comment

Thanks 90//M. I'll include this advice in the write up. :gotcha:

Cheers,
              Jake

Comment

Also, when detaching the A/C equipment, take care not to create any unnatural curves/kinks in the lines or the original hoses and fittings might slowly leak refrigerant.

Comment

Thanks Colin. Now I need to find some pictures of the AC pump installed and maybe removed to show how.

Here's another question for all you M3 guru's out there. Do you prefer to remove the engine with or without the transmission? I prefer to pull it but leave the bell housing on. If you drop the cross member it's very easy to remove before pulling the engine out.

But when it comes to reinstall I like to bolt them togther before dropping it in. To me its easier to install everything possible before sticking it in (no pun intended). I have an arthritic back so less time spent hunched over in the engine bay the better. So I'll throw everything on I can up to the throttle bodies (but no plenum or airbox) and then back to and including the transmission.

Am I the weird one or do other people do this too?

I also like to keep the electrical harness connected to the engine. So I'll pull the harness off the car and take it out with the engine. Then if I need to remove it from the engine itself I will. Do most people prefer to pull the harness off the engine and leave it dangling in the engine bay? I guess it doesn't matter too much. It depends on what you're doing I suppose. I like to have the engine bay stripped as much as possible so I can take full advantage of an engineless engine bay and give it a good cleaning.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                    Thanks Colin. Now I need to find some pictures of the AC pump installed and maybe removed to show how.

Here's another question for all you M3 guru's out there. Do you prefer to remove the engine with or without the transmission? I prefer to pull it but leave the bell housing on. If you drop the cross member it's very easy to remove before pulling the engine out.

But when it comes to reinstall I like to bolt them togther before dropping it in. To me its easier to install everything possible before sticking it in (no pun intended). I have an arthritic back so less time spent hunched over in the engine bay the better. So I'll throw everything on I can up to the throttle bodies (but no plenum or airbox) and then back to and including the transmission.

Am I the weird one or do other people do this too?

I also like to keep the electrical harness connected to the engine. So I'll pull the harness off the car and take it out with the engine. Then if I need to remove it from the engine itself I will. Do most people prefer to pull the harness off the engine and leave it dangling in the engine bay? I guess it doesn't matter too much. It depends on what you're doing I suppose. I like to have the engine bay stripped as much as possible so I can take full advantage of an engineless engine bay and give it a good cleaning.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Jake

Jake, this is the only A/C compressor pic I have in the bay.

Also, it's extremely easy to pull the motor with the tranny attached to it. If you purchase an engine tilter from Summit Racing not only is it a one man operation but you don‘t have to bribe someone with beer to help you.

I've always left the harness in the car taped to the windshield, throttle bodies off the car and header already installed durring removal.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

That's perfect Jeremiah! Thank you. Do you mind if I use that picture in the write up? I'll list you among the contributors for sure.

I've always had a need to pull the transmission for one reason or another. And when the engine is ready to come out its only another 4 nuts to slide the transmission off. Then you don't have to mess with the leveling bar much as it comes out. But I do have one and use it every time.

However I'm under the impression most just pull it with the transmission. So I think I'll include seperate procedures to accomodate this. That and I see you also didn't disconnect the power steering pump. I hadn't considered this actually but it's a good idea.

Anybody have pictures from underneath showing the AC compressor installed and with the mounting bolts visible?

Cheers,
                      Jake

Comment

Yes you are more than welcome to use the pic.
                        Last edited by Jeremiah; 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Working...
                        X