The "I should have replaced it" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "I should have replaced it" thread

Hi everyone. As some of you may know, I'm in the middle of my M's "revitalization" after sitting for 7 years. I'm planning on having it rocking and rolling in about a month...well, at least rolling. So far, I have changed, or will change, the following:

- rod bearings
    - oil pump
    - water pump
    - ignition coil
    - cap, rotor, wires, plugs
    - throttle body gasket
    - ICV
    - timing tensioner
    - rebuilt injectors
    - exhaust studs and nuts
    - large intake boot
    - rubber fuel lines
    - suspension bushings (subframe, trailing arm)
    - ss brake lines
    - battery
    - new regulator
    - shifter components
    - clutch
    - valves adjusted
    - new brake pads
    - 25mm brake mc
    - clutch mc and slave cyl.
    - rear main seal (maybe, if leaking)
    - fan clutch
    - all coolant hoses
    - thermostat
    - fuel filter

For fun:

- cr tranny
    - lightened flywheel
    - suspension (H&R race, billy sports, IE sways)

That's all I can remember.

Is there anything that comes to mind that you'd recommend me changing before my maiden voyage? I don't plan on doing anything else internally to the engine.

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
    E30 M3 Wiki
    My Youtube Channel
    E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

You could check all the usual vacuum leak problem areas. ICV air supply hose on fwd rh side of intake plenum (most glue it in place), brake booster nipple on #4 TB (same here too), you've done the intake blocks already, ck acclerator cable adjustment, split hoses (oil sep especially), and clean gounding straps. I'm sure there is some other basic stuff but that's all I can think of for the engine off the top of my head.

I don't know how many miles you have on it, but if you're going in to replace the clutch you may as well replace the shifting fork and plastic pivot (both are cheap). Then while the DS is out ck the center bearing and flex disc. Then since you'll have the exhaust down new rubber hangers. All filters of course. O2 sensor maybe? Clean the tracks on the AFM I suppose. Pressure wash the oil cooler and radiator. Clean out the windshield cowl drain (elephant drain on rh side of engine bay). Same for the sunroof drains. Parking brake shoes?

Meh, that's all the immediately comes to mind.

HTH,
    Jake

Comment

cool, thanks Jake. That's the info I need. Would you recommend replacing the fuel pumps?

E30 M3 Wiki
      My Youtube Channel

Comment

It wasn't too long ago I'd think no. But I'm beginning to think it's a good idea to replace the pumps, especially for any track M3s. These cars are getting old. You could always test them and if all is well then leave them alone. I guess there isn't really a yes or no to that question. Whatever gives you the warm and fuzzy (sorry, don't mean to sound wishy washy). If the pumps weren't so darn expensive it might make the decision easier. :gotcha:

Jake

Comment

How do you test the in tank pump?

E30 M3 Wiki
          My Youtube Channel

Comment

Tires? Those 7 year old tires are probably harder than AdaM at a ghey bar.

Comment

I should have fitted the weld in toe/camber adjusters when I had the subframe out for reconditioning...

Comment

Here is some info on testing the pumps. I think our buddy Hardtailer posted this up a few years ago (so good I saved it :gotcha.

"I found some S14 specific data by BMW (old microfiche) this lists the following:

fuel pressure 2,8...3,2 bar
                fuel flow (measure from return line): min. 900cm3 in 30sec (1.8ltr/min, 108ltr/hr)
                fuel flow of pre-pump or feed pump (inside tank): min 1000cm3 in 30 sec (2 ltr/min, 120 ltr/hr)

minimum supply voltage at pump: 12V

it explicitly states to measure flow from the return line"

HTH,
                Jake

Comment

Thanks Jake.

E30 M3 Wiki
                  My Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...