Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just failed emissions for third time

Well,

It's official I either fix my car or get my license suspended. So anyways I've changed out the O2 sensor and cat so I don't know what else it could be. I'm dumping tons of fuel, anybody have any ideas.
    "Condoms break baby, Deal with it."

- Max Weinberg

Check the following,
    tps
    evap solenoid.
    Coolant temp sensor (for the motronix unit)
    MAKE SURE YOUR INGITION CABLES DO NOT HAVE A MISFIRE, that might cause high (hydro-carbons)
    because it does not ignite the fuel.
    Also check your flow meter with an meter, it would be better if you can scope it.

What part did you fail hc's, NOX
    What was your o2 level.
    What was your Co2

Comment

Actually they won't suspend your license, they'll suspend your registration. There is also a waiver available if you can show that you spent about $400 or more, which it sounds like you already did, so I hope that cuts the Big Brother stress. That's how it works in my state (CT) anyway and the rules come down from the Feds. That states have to play along since the Federal Gov't can hold up their highway money.

Having said that, it's likely something simple as pointed out above. It sounds like you are running to rich...post your results sheet if you can. It could be a simple as something unplugged or a bad sensor. Don't let it go for long or you'll kill your new cat.

Stan

Comment

Well, you can't just throw some parts at it and expect the car to work! Fist you need to find out WHY the car is not running properly!!

As mentioned, check all these things...
        Then,....
        Fuel pressure regulator and vacuum hose, if it's bad you will run rich.
        Change all the filters, air, fuel, and do a oil change.
        Then get your valves adjusted, TB's synced then base idle and CO set.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

My hydrocarbons are the problem. When I first tested I got a 1.35 when the limit is .8. This last time I went after I had changed the O2 sensor it jumped to 2.4 or something. I had a friend help me install the O2 and there were no leaks so I'm confident I installed it correctly. I'm in IL and even if I spend over $ 400 your score must improve from a previous test and they WILL suspend my license unless I deem that the car is not roadworthy and won't be driven in which case they will suspend the plates. I wish I knew more about my car and that I could fix this problem myself but I'm going to bend over and let a certified technician take care of this. No wonder I'm getting like 15 mpg. HAHAHA. I love this car so much but it gives me so much grief. Don't even get me started on my car loan. It's all worth it.
          "Condoms break baby, Deal with it."

- Max Weinberg

Comment

i think EVOIII's solution is the best idea man... thats exactly what i'd do... is your cat oringinal? maybe check distributor cap/rotor ect... start small work up.. good luck,, and for sure its all worth it
            ted:t:
            1990 e30 m3

Comment

Fill up the tank with some 110 octane.

It'll pass easy.

The usual trick for getting the hydros down is to do an oil change. If that doesnt do it then get your cat checked. But like Mike said, don't just throw parts at the thing. Get some trouble shooting done!
              Last edited by AdamF 88iS; 01-02-2004, 06:46 PM.

Comment

you might also have a lean misfire, check for leaks around the intake manifold gaskets (plates)
                also post what was your o2 results on the smog test. NOt on your o2 sensor

Comment

Remember HC'c are UNBURNED FUEL. Change your oil will help. but not enough to make you pass
                  if you oxygen level is high and hc's are high might have a lean misfire.
                  Also check the hose that connects below the intake plenum
                  good luck

Comment

My bet is on the Fuel Pressure Regulator or Coolant Temp Sensor. As AdamF pointed out, changing the oil can improve the HCs.

Comment

possibly awfull advice....but you could just try and "buy" the sticker. I'm sure most people don't want to hear that for a response, but it is definately a quick fix to keep you running and avoiding possible police trouble.

Flame suit is on

Comment

what are the readings for all three gases? you can not only look at one.

Comment

possibly awfull advice....but you could just try and "buy" the sticker. I'm sure most people don't want to hear that for a response, but it is definately a quick fix to keep you running and avoiding possible police trouble.
                          No flames, but trust me you don't want to do that.

Cops in most jurisdictions now have computers in their patrol cars. They run your plate, to do a random stolen check (not unlikely in an E30M3). During this process they get your registration information back. It shows 99 (or whatever) registration and you have 2004 tags. Now you have a charge of "defrauding the DMV" which in some jurisdictions can be a felony if the cop doesn't like you. In addition, after you get out of jail and the tag is removed as evidence, you now STILL have an unregistered vehicle that still won't pass smog and you owe back reg fees plus penalties. Also, the cop probably would have impounded the car until you get the registration taken care of, so add on a hefty tow and storage bill.

This is a common scam among (generally) the more unsavory members of our society. The cops look for it, and those who are caught get spanked hard.
                          Last edited by Ironhead; 01-03-2004, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Actually you can "buy" a sticker. My close friend runs a garage and if his friends fail emissions he puts the exhaust testing hose from the computer to DMV into a newer car and has one person rev the engine as he does(in the failed car). All this while the camera is on as per NYS laws. The camera only takes intermittent pictures form what I understand. But you can indeed get over.

Mad Mike

Comment

what is the overall state of the motor? Is it perfect? tired? what kind of oil? what hasn't been replaced? What are the mods? I think that a lot of information is missing for some of the guru's to throw truly helpful information at this problem...
                              T :t:
                              1990 e30 m3

Comment

Working...
                              X