Just failed emissions for third time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Actually you can "buy" a sticker. My close friend runs a garage and if his friends fail emissions he puts the exhaust testing hose from the computer to DMV into a newer car and has one person rev the engine as he does(in the failed car). All this while the camera is on as per NYS laws. The camera only takes intermittent pictures form what I understand. But you can indeed get over.

Mad Mike

This is actually what i was referring to by "buying" the sticker. There are definately some folks out there that will run a newer car with impeccable emmisions in place of yours....so all is just fine if you ever got pulled over.....(emmisions wise)

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Webb
      This is actually what i was referring to by "buying" the sticker. There are definately some folks out there that will run a newer car with impeccable emmisions in place of yours....so all is just fine if you ever got pulled over.....(emmisions wise)
      Correct, because the emissions sticker would still have your cars registration on it.

Mad Mike

Comment

I could sympathize a little if you were trying to run a heavily modified S14 on the street and you just couldn't get it to pass an emissions test, but that's not the case here. I'd rather encourage him put right his obviously sick S14. JMHO

Cheers,
        Jake Larsen

Comment

Doing a complete filter change (air, fuel, oil) + changing the oil ought to help some. Not too long ago my dad's car failed smog and the test tech suggested he change the oil & filter then retest (the car passed after my dad took his advice).

Also, run some good quality fuel through the tank and make sure the car is up to (or close to) operating temp when it comes time to test. Out here in Calif., the testers ask that your car be operated for at least 15 minutes before bringing it in (I don't know what your state requires, but a warm car will pollute less than a cold one).

So I always make it a practice to do these things before taking my car in for a sniff test. Also, I try to time it so I arrive at the shop about 15-20 minutes prior to closing. More often than not, there will be only one or two cars there ahead of me. This way my car doesn't get to cool off too much before its my turn.

Hope this helps and that you can get things sorted out and your car passes. Best of luck.

Jon
          I will own an E30 M3....someday.

Comment

if we could get all five gas readings, help might be a little faster

Comment

If it hasn't already been mentioned...the motor runs a bit cleaner with hot cats. Ideally run it hard right before you'll be tested.

Stan

Comment

Does your car have a sport camshaft? Mine failed inspection due to the car having the sport camshaft. It was fine at idle and fine at high speed, but the cam was making it run way to rich at mid engine speeds to pass, so finally after like 8 visits to my BMW technician he realized that unless I spent all the time and money to replace the aftermarket camshaft with the stock one then it would never pass, this is when he "passed" it if you know what I mean. I mean the car is mint and obviously he knew that so with some slight tweaking he got my gas mileage back to a respectable level and a brand new inspection sticker on my windshield.
                Ryan
                88 M3 (diamondswartz) - Garage Queen
                04 M3 (silvergray) - My Toy
                02 330 cabrio (alpinewhite) wife's toy
                98 Volvo V70R (daily driver)

Comment

Originally posted by e30ryan///m3
                  Does your car have a sport camshaft? Mine failed inspection due to the car having the sport camshaft. It was fine at idle and fine at high speed, but the cam was making it run way to rich at mid engine speeds to pass, so finally after like 8 visits to my BMW technician he realized that unless I spent all the time and money to replace the aftermarket camshaft with the stock one then it would never pass, this is when he "passed" it if you know what I mean. I mean the car is mint and obviously he knew that so with some slight tweaking he got my gas mileage back to a respectable level and a brand new inspection sticker on my windshield.
                  What are you talking about? faild due to "a" cam? What cam do you have? Our cars have 2 cams. Cams can not make a car run rich or lean, they just open and close the valves.

Sounds like you have other issues....

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                  X