X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVOIIIM3
    replied
    Originally posted by e30ryan///m3
    Does your car have a sport camshaft? Mine failed inspection due to the car having the sport camshaft. It was fine at idle and fine at high speed, but the cam was making it run way to rich at mid engine speeds to pass, so finally after like 8 visits to my BMW technician he realized that unless I spent all the time and money to replace the aftermarket camshaft with the stock one then it would never pass, this is when he "passed" it if you know what I mean. I mean the car is mint and obviously he knew that so with some slight tweaking he got my gas mileage back to a respectable level and a brand new inspection sticker on my windshield.
    What are you talking about? faild due to "a" cam? What cam do you have? Our cars have 2 cams. Cams can not make a car run rich or lean, they just open and close the valves.

Sounds like you have other issues....

Leave a comment:

• e30ryan///m3
    replied
    Does your car have a sport camshaft? Mine failed inspection due to the car having the sport camshaft. It was fine at idle and fine at high speed, but the cam was making it run way to rich at mid engine speeds to pass, so finally after like 8 visits to my BMW technician he realized that unless I spent all the time and money to replace the aftermarket camshaft with the stock one then it would never pass, this is when he "passed" it if you know what I mean. I mean the car is mint and obviously he knew that so with some slight tweaking he got my gas mileage back to a respectable level and a brand new inspection sticker on my windshield.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    If it hasn't already been mentioned...the motor runs a bit cleaner with hot cats. Ideally run it hard right before you'll be tested.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• panthrogt
    replied
    if we could get all five gas readings, help might be a little faster

Leave a comment:

• Jon325i
    replied
    Doing a complete filter change (air, fuel, oil) + changing the oil ought to help some. Not too long ago my dad's car failed smog and the test tech suggested he change the oil & filter then retest (the car passed after my dad took his advice).

Also, run some good quality fuel through the tank and make sure the car is up to (or close to) operating temp when it comes time to test. Out here in Calif., the testers ask that your car be operated for at least 15 minutes before bringing it in (I don't know what your state requires, but a warm car will pollute less than a cold one).

So I always make it a practice to do these things before taking my car in for a sniff test. Also, I try to time it so I arrive at the shop about 15-20 minutes prior to closing. More often than not, there will be only one or two cars there ahead of me. This way my car doesn't get to cool off too much before its my turn.

Hope this helps and that you can get things sorted out and your car passes. Best of luck.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    I could sympathize a little if you were trying to run a heavily modified S14 on the street and you just couldn't get it to pass an emissions test, but that's not the case here. I'd rather encourage him put right his obviously sick S14. JMHO

Cheers,
    Jake Larsen

Leave a comment:

• Mad Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by Ty Webb
    This is actually what i was referring to by "buying" the sticker. There are definately some folks out there that will run a newer car with impeccable emmisions in place of yours....so all is just fine if you ever got pulled over.....(emmisions wise)
    Correct, because the emissions sticker would still have your cars registration on it.

Mad Mike

Leave a comment:

• Ty Webb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Actually you can "buy" a sticker. My close friend runs a garage and if his friends fail emissions he puts the exhaust testing hose from the computer to DMV into a newer car and has one person rev the engine as he does(in the failed car). All this while the camera is on as per NYS laws. The camera only takes intermittent pictures form what I understand. But you can indeed get over.

Mad Mike

This is actually what i was referring to by "buying" the sticker. There are definately some folks out there that will run a newer car with impeccable emmisions in place of yours....so all is just fine if you ever got pulled over.....(emmisions wise)

Leave a comment:

• UofOm3
    replied
    what is the overall state of the motor? Is it perfect? tired? what kind of oil? what hasn't been replaced? What are the mods? I think that a lot of information is missing for some of the guru's to throw truly helpful information at this problem...
    T :t:

Leave a comment:

• Mad Mike
    replied
    Actually you can "buy" a sticker. My close friend runs a garage and if his friends fail emissions he puts the exhaust testing hose from the computer to DMV into a newer car and has one person rev the engine as he does(in the failed car). All this while the camera is on as per NYS laws. The camera only takes intermittent pictures form what I understand. But you can indeed get over.

Mad Mike

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    possibly awfull advice....but you could just try and "buy" the sticker. I'm sure most people don't want to hear that for a response, but it is definately a quick fix to keep you running and avoiding possible police trouble.
    No flames, but trust me you don't want to do that.

Cops in most jurisdictions now have computers in their patrol cars. They run your plate, to do a random stolen check (not unlikely in an E30M3). During this process they get your registration information back. It shows 99 (or whatever) registration and you have 2004 tags. Now you have a charge of "defrauding the DMV" which in some jurisdictions can be a felony if the cop doesn't like you. In addition, after you get out of jail and the tag is removed as evidence, you now STILL have an unregistered vehicle that still won't pass smog and you owe back reg fees plus penalties. Also, the cop probably would have impounded the car until you get the registration taken care of, so add on a hefty tow and storage bill.

This is a common scam among (generally) the more unsavory members of our society. The cops look for it, and those who are caught get spanked hard.
    Last edited by Ironhead; 01-03-2004, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xsmotor
    replied
    what are the readings for all three gases? you can not only look at one.

Leave a comment:

• Ty Webb
    replied
    possibly awfull advice....but you could just try and "buy" the sticker. I'm sure most people don't want to hear that for a response, but it is definately a quick fix to keep you running and avoiding possible police trouble.

Flame suit is on

Leave a comment:

• ColinM
    replied
    My bet is on the Fuel Pressure Regulator or Coolant Temp Sensor. As AdamF pointed out, changing the oil can improve the HCs.

Leave a comment:

• panthrogt
    replied
    Remember HC'c are UNBURNED FUEL. Change your oil will help. but not enough to make you pass
    if you oxygen level is high and hc's are high might have a lean misfire.
    Also check the hose that connects below the intake plenum
    good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X