Rubber Spring Pad ?'s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Spring Pad ?'s...

I'm considdering taking the rubber pads out of my rear spring seats... this is being considdered for two reasons:
    1. I put in deeper front spring hats and i have a feeling that there is going to be too much rake to the front, and since i do not have the smaller spring pads, this could help bring the rake back under control.
    2. I am under the impression that the fewer rubber components in the suspension system, the better handling/feel you can get for the car to the road, which makes sense to me as rubber usually is doing some sort of dampening.

however, i'm concerned about the "squeekyness" that i would get from the rear suspension based on not having pads... I saw adam posted that he dropped his rear spring pads for one of his suspesion setups... anyone done this or tried it before? I understand that it is extremely easy to remove/instal these things, so i suppose i could just try it, but i don't have the car right now and might just have the shop pull one or both of them out if this is a good plan... gimme some thoughts fella's...
    Ted :t:
    1990 e30 m3

Running with no pads is fine.

Also, you can get different thicknesses from the dealer. There are 3 different sizes so you can stick some thinner ones in there to get it just where you want it. I'm sure somebody will chime in with the part #s here...

Comment

I've been running on no pads since the beginning of last summer and there is no paint chaiffing, no squeaking, just a little lower stance.

What are the part numbers for the deeper spring hats for the front struts?

Comment

Yeah...its shouldnt be a problem...i put mine back in for now....since im just daily driving right now...

But just take em out and see how you like em...its only about a 15 minute procedure...

ADA///M

Comment

1990m3- i got my 10mm deeper front spring hats from BMPD for like 150$. My car without an motor in the front sits = to stock height or a little lower with the deep hats and hnr gruppe g springs w/ billsports...
          adam or 1990- did the car sit notably lower? i'm looking for probably not even a half an inch... i think i'll have to take up your idea adam of just trying it out... i'll see what i can do when i get my car back...
          thans guys
          Ted :t:
          1990 e30 m3

Comment

hey guys i don't mean to steal the thread but this seams the place to ask. I have an E34 chassis 525i on bilstein sport / H&R sport stock pads... however, the drop is not severe enough. I would like to lower more... like... a decent amount more, maybe .5" in front. if I run no spring pads will I be ok? What about these deeper spring retainers you guys mention, will that part fit to my car? I was looking into "lowering caps" but no one makes them for E34... can you guys give me some E30 tips on what you would do?

Comment

Originally posted by UrineMachine
              hey guys i don't mean to steal the thread but this seams the place to ask. I have an E34 chassis 525i on bilstein sport / H&R sport stock pads... however, the drop is not severe enough. I would like to lower more... like... a decent amount more, maybe .5" in front. if I run no spring pads will I be ok? What about these deeper spring retainers you guys mention, will that part fit to my car? I was looking into "lowering caps" but no one makes them for E34... can you guys give me some E30 tips on what you would do?
              Not to be an ass...but....
              This forum is for e30 m3 only relevant material...i dont know if you're new here...

But if you'd like to discuss non-e30 M3 material then post that in the "off-topic" forum....we'll be glad to help there...

About your suspension...i dont know e34 parts off hand...but i would not remove the pads up front...if you can find thinner pads...thats fine...run those...it wont be a big difference...if you really need an extra .5"....then i suggest cutting a coil off of the h&R sport springs...i did it on my last set of springs...it worked great...

ADA///M

Comment

Yeah i know this is E30 relevant, was just wondering because E34 is similar chassis... but thatnks, will cutting a coil off sacrifice handling? They're progressive springs, correct?

Comment

I believe the sports are linear...i should know i just looked at a set in my trunk this morn...im pretty sure they are linear...there is an inactive coil on there anyway...so cutting it off IMHO is not an issue...the spring will become slightly stiffer but in my mind that is a good thing....

You wont notice teh difference handlign wise...but the car will be lower...

HTH

Comment

Which coil do you cut? and how much of it? Could you take apicture of the spring since you have a set in y our trunk and just circle the coil that is inactive?

Comment

dont have time for that today captain...there was about 1/2 to one coil cut from the top of the spring....any decent shop should know what to do...just tell them you want to take a coil off...

ADA///M

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

you didn't get the ride height drop you wanted because... bilsteins ride higher than many other shocks on the market... cut the coil, or call BMPD about spring hats
                          T:t:
                          1990 e30 m3

Comment

BMPD have spring hats for E34?

Comment

I thought Adam did a good job of nicely dropping you a hint. But I guess it didn't work.

Mr UrineMachine, take it to off topic. I'd love to help you out, but not here. Capeesh'?

Cheers,
                              Jake Larsen

PS I'm actually in the process of putting together an extensive suspension upgrade for my E34 too. But alas.... it will not be covered here.

Comment

Working...
                              X