Anyone running single 3" exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running single 3" exhaust?

Need to quiet mine down a bit and looking for some configuration options. I've since added a 18" resonator behind the cat, but it's still way too loud to make it to Laguna next month. Was wondering what you guys are doing to maintain a reasonable tone.

Michael
    www.purems.com | Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

get a larger rear muffler.

you have space between the back of the tire and where your muffler starts.

find the largest 3 in/3out muffler you can stuff in there. I believe Gustave's write up has the part number for a large magnaflow

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

Comment

Yes, the 5x11x22 Magnaflow mufflers are rather large. I'm not quite sure how quiet they'll be, but I am installing a 2.5" offset in/centered out 5x11x22 Magnaflow 14586 with a resonator and cat within a few weeks. Initially I thought I could just install a Supersprint midpipe and Stromung, but the combo proved to be SUPER loud.

Gustave used a 14589, which is a 3.0" offset in/centered out 5x11x22 muffler.

Comment

I actually have three mufflers on my 3" system....

If the rear I have the huge 5X11X22 Magnaflow, in the middle a cylindrical resonator, and a smaller Borla muffler in front. The exhaust is now about as quiet as stock, which isn't really very quiet....

I still get a ton of noise from the CF intake, more than I imagine would be allowed at Laguna. What sort of candy-ass racetrack is that place, anyway? Race cars have to make some noise.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
          What sort of candy-ass racetrack is that place, anyway? Race cars have to make some noise.....
          Race cars - yes (on sanctioned race weekends)

DE cars - no (at least that is what I have been lead to believe)

Mike

PS - kind of like Lime Rock if I recall correctly

Comment

As others have said, you could replace your resonator with another muffler and your rear box looks like a 14". I think an 18" is the minimum for practical purposes, but likely still on the loud side.

-Dietrich

Comment

I went with a lightweight (~3.5lb) glasspack muffler in back and an 18" cylindrical resonator about midway back. Its pretty loud but def. not unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                Yes, the 5x11x22 Magnaflow mufflers are rather large. I'm not quite sure how quiet they'll be, but I am installing a 2.5" offset in/centered out 5x11x22 Magnaflow 14586 with a resonator and cat within a few weeks. Initially I thought I could just install a Supersprint midpipe and Stromung, but the combo proved to be SUPER loud.

Gustave used a 14589, which is a 3.0" offset in/centered out 5x11x22 muffler.
                +1.

I have the same 2.5" 5x11x22 and it does a pretty good job of keeping the noise down but still sounding good at WOT. The muffler you have looks pretty small.

Check out mine:

that's right mine is bigger than yours....

Comment

We fabricated this system out of stainless, which contains two Magnaflow mufflers and is very quiet.

2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                  1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                  1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Ted, your idea of quiet might not be what most would consider to be "quiet." That muffler looks like a motorcycle muffler! wow. It just looks loud but that system must be very lightweight!

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

It might be quiet if used on a turbo car, otherwise no way......

Comment

I realize what it looks like, but it is actually not much louder than the factory exhaust system. There is no rasp, and only the low frequency part of the sound spectrum seems to be a bit louder.
                        2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                        1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                        1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

I've got a similar Magnaflow in the back, but I also added a Borla (the one Gustave used) right after my cat as well.

Nick

Comment

anybody have a sound bite or video of their single tube exhaust?

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                            E30 M3 Wiki
                            My Youtube Channel
                            E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

I have a 3" system, all mandrel bent, with a magnaflow 18" see-thru muffler. It is loud as hell, but its not annoying.

I drove a car with a SS straight pipe center and SS muffler, car had this unbearable annoying tone.

I will be putting a cat and a 22" magnaflow on the car soon.

Matt
                              -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                              http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                              PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Working...
                              X