Replacing my front subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my front subframe

i am replacing and reinforcing my front subframe next week and i was wondering what else i should replace while they work is being done? i know to replace the motor mounts as well, any recommendations/comments (exect GR N mounts cause they are 600 a pair)? what else do you guys think i should do while im there? thanks in advance.
    chris
    Old School

I'm really looking forward to putting mine together, someday....

I decided to use 740i mounts. A bit shorter, a bit stiffer. Gustave has a nice article about it here. I'm also going to use the 6 series tranny mounts.

As far as the reinforcements go, some people weld them on top because it's the easiest way to do it. I still think its better to weld it from underneath. It just spreads the load out better IMO and it won't raise the engine either.

While you're under there, it may be a good time to reseal your upper and lower oil pans as you'll have good access while the subframe is out. Maybe check on those exhaust header studs too. Dropping the engine/tranny a little to gain access to the shifter linkage may be a good idea. Good time to replace all those little shifter doohickeys that seem to perish so fast.

HTH,
    Jake Larsen

Comment

thanks jake

i forgot to say im doing all the gaskets because im putting a oil pan baffle in as well. i did all the shifter parts while i did my short shifter and i also replaced all my exhuast header studs not too long ago. so i think im pretty much covered. so i guess ill use the 740i mounts. do you know the best place to buy them? thanks a lot

chris
      Old School

Comment

Geez, sounds like you are set!

I bought my motor mounts from my dealer. I have a great relationship with them and I get almost all my BMW parts there verses finding it somewhere online. After shipping costs are figured in they are usually cheaper anyway. But I do get trade prices so it helps.

For online sources, I'm a big fan of Bimmerworld. Or Jefrem from iigomotive.com may have them too. Jefrem contributes a lot here as you know and I prefer to take my business to those who selflessly contribute to the community.

Anyway, here are the part numbers I used.

11 81 1 094 150 left
        11 81 1 094 150 right

HTH,
        Jake Larsen

Comment

Couple of questions

What are u reinforcing the sub frame with? Any procedue on this?

Also in that article about 740 motormounts there is mention of rotating the mounts in the edited note. Does this also correct the problem of the motor shifting and in turn having to alter the subframe?

Comment

Working...
          X