AWD M3 - ever been done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWD M3 - ever been done

There is a 325ix E30 that is for sale locally. Now I didn't even know an awd E30 existed, but I was curious if an awd drivetrain has ever been transplanted into an M3 before?

obviously its a 6cyl transmission so would you have to do a 6cyl motor swap as well. I have a M3 that can be modified to this extent because its not worth keeping original anymore.

LMK what you guys think!
    cars suck!!

And why would you want to do that, Sir?

Comment

why do you think?
      Because I enjoy doing things that haven't been done before and it would most certainly give a different handling aspect, traction to the car
      cars suck!!

Comment

You're wanting to put the M3 running gear into the ix or put the ix into the M3?

The part that gets everybody is the front drive parts. Have heard of lots of people asking the question, but nobody ever doing it.

Comment

Not easily.
          Look at the front strut tower arrangement on an iX... it is different than a regular RWD E30.
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

we were thinking of doing s50 swap into the ix in the late nineties but because of the unique oil pan where the front drive shafts pass thru it, it's almost impossible to do. If you want AWD - get an audi, if you want ix with more power - turbocharge the M20

Comment

M3 IX can't do

No better words spoken above.

Chicco

Comment

I remember a chap on E30.de had done it with an S38

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                  I remember a chap on E30.de had done it with an S38
                  M30?

http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...948/f00948.htm
                  http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...025/f01025.htm
                  Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

You would be better off swapping the M3 pannels onto the IX... At that point all you are looking for is the look because the handling will be killed. I bet a person with some fab Experience could work out the front-drive with an S14 but the car would be crap with a high reving engine and alot of loss through the AWD system... I have contemplated this swap a couple of times but have never gone further than contemplating...

-Kelly

Comment

I remember seeing a 325ix with either a turbo or S50/52 swap and running some
                      big numbers, and they were trying to see where the breaking point of the ix drive
                      system was. If I remember if it was a turbo or the swap, I'll let you guys know. Man
                      this is going to bug me the whole day.

Comment

I considered that a while ago, but also gave up due to the oil pan problem. If you really want to have S14 power with AWD, it is probably easiest transplanting the S14 into an Audi.

Their engines are placed completely in front of the front axle. And mating the S14 with the audi gearbox shouldn't be too hard.

Also I used to have an Audi quattro (the rally equaivalent of the M3) and the handling of that was superb. Even compared to my parents 330xd, with full Mpacket, the 20 year old audi handled considerably better. If you want awd in a sports car, Audi are in a league of their own.

Here a small photo...

Comment

There was an IX with a swapped s50 in it for sale on EBAY a year ago .They used a 525ix euro oil pan sold over the BMW parts counter .

Comment

Well the thoughts went like this
                            put the front driveshafts and tranny in out of a IX. And I wasn't contemplating keeping the s14 with the AWD....
                            oil pan issues eh...hmmm....I'm going to go take alook at this IX for sale because i'm curious of the front strut towers and how theyre different
                            cars suck!!

Comment

I'll also copy and post the ad i have.

1989 bmw 325ix all wheel drive, 5 speed standard, Painted viper blue 3 years ago, lowered 3", leather interior, aftermarket spoiler, aftermarket exhaust.

timing belt slipped and bent valves, head is off car right now with all parts and gaskets to go along with it to repair.
                              pics to come soon, no time to repair, my loss your gain for a sharp looking rare car that handles like no other.. PHONE CALLS ONLY
                              $2000neg. bmw 325i parts car to go with it depending on price negotiating.
                              trades of interest considered bikes, sleds, atvs, home electronics + cash, etc.
                              cars suck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X